306 Route 47. VENICE. b. From St. Mark to
The Via Ventidue Marzo crosses a second bridge and leads to
the church of Santa Maria del (riglio or Santa Maria Zobenigo
(Pl. F, 6), erected in 1680-83 by Gius. Sardi for the Bartaro family
('bárbaro monumento del decadimento dell' arte', as it has been called).
The niches of the baroque facade contain statues of members of the
family. At the base of the lower row of columns are plans of Zara,
Candia, Padua, Rome, Corfú, and Spalato, hewn in the stone; above
are representations of naval battles.
Leaving this church, we cross the Campo San Maurizio, where the
small church of that ñame is situated, to the larger Campo Francesco
Morosini (Pl. E, F, 6), which is embellished with a marble statue
of Niccolb Tommaseo, philosopher and teacher (d. 1874). To the
left is the Pal. Morosini, formerly renowned for its art-treasures,
and to the right is —
*Santo Stefano (Pl. F, 5, 6), a Gothic church of the 14th cent.,
with an elegant facade in brick (restored in 1904), rich leaf-work
over the portal, and good window-mouldings in terracotta. The in¬
terior (recently restored) has a peculiarly constructed vaulting of
wood, which, along with the wide intervals of the slender columns,
imparts a very pleasing appearance to the interior and recalls San
Fermo at Verona (p. 252).
Entrance Wall, to the right of the principal door, is the fine tomb
of the physician Jacopo Suriano (d. 1511). The ornamental paintings in
the nave were renewed in 1903; on the pavement is the large tomb-
stone of the Doge Franceaco Morosini (d. 1694; p. 289). — Choib. On the
marble screens, statues of the twelve Apostles and four saints, from the
studio of Pietro Lombardi (1476). Renaiasance stalls by Marco and Fran¬
cesco Cozzi (1465-88). — In the chapel to the left of the choir is the tomb
of the jurist Giov. Batt. Ferretti, by Sanmicheli (?). — Left Aisle. 3rd altar,
statues of St. Jerome and St. Paul by Pietro Lombardi.
Behind the church stands a Gothic Campanile (restored in 1903).
— Adjoining the church on the left are handsome Cloisters (1532),
with the remains of fine frescoes by Pordenone on the upper story.
Crossing the cloisters, we reach the Campo Sant' Angelo (Pl. F, 5), with
a marble monument to Paleocapa, the minister (p. 38). — Farther to the
N.E., near the Teatro Rossini, is the Piazza Manin (Pl. F, G, 5), adorned
with a Monument of Daniele Manin (p. 290) in bronze. On the Cassa di
Risparmio (Savings Bank), in this square, ia a marble tablet commemorat-
ing the fact that the famoua Aldine Press once occupied this site. [The
tablet on another house in the parish of S. Agostino, associating it also
with Aldus, is probably wrong; comp. 'The Venetian Printing Press', by
H. F. Brown.] We then traverse the Calle della Vida (right) and, taking
the first side-street to the right, reach the Palazzo Contarini dal Bovolo
(Pl. F, 5), now belonging to the Congregazione di Carita. This contains
the "Scala Minélli or Scala a Chiocciola, a curious spiral staircase in a
round tower of Istrian marble, constructed by Giov. Candi (d. 1499).
We now retrace our steps and cross the Campo Morosini to the
S.E. to the *Palazzo Pisani a Santo Stefano (Pl. F, 6; now a con-
servatorium), situated in a small piazza off the main'track. This
is a good example of the residence of a rich merchant of the baroque
period, with spacious halls and courts and magniflcent interior de-