Pal. of the Doges VENICE. 47.Rouie. 299
The **Palace of the Doges (Palazzo Ducale; Pl. H, 5), the W.
side of which (82 yds.) faces the Piazzetta, and the S. side (78 yds.)
the Molo and the Lagune, is said to have been founded beside the
church of St. Theodore about 814 for the flrst Doge of Venice. It
was rebuilt after conflagrations in 976 and 1105, and has been
repeatedly altered and restored. The Gothic exterior, lined with
small slabs of coloured marble, and with two pointed arcades of 107
columns (36 below, 71 above), one above the other, was thoroughly
restored in 1873-89. The S. part dates from the 14th cent. (1309
et seq.; large window, by Pierpaolo Massegne, 1404), while the W.
facade is said to have been built in l-i'23-38 by Giovanni Buon and
his sons Pantaleone and Bartolomeo Buon the Eider. The magniflcent
tracery of the windows in the upper story has almost entirely disap-
peared in the course of one of the restorations.
The upper arcade, called *'La Loggia', is remarkably rich. From
between the two columns of red marble (9th and lOth from the
principal portal) the Republic caused its sentences of death to be
proclaimed. The capitals of the short columns below (which have no
bases) are richly decorated with foliage, figures of men, and animáis.
On the comer-pillar to the left next the portal are interesting figures
of Numa Pompilius, Scipio, Emperor Trajan judging the cause of
a widow, Justice, etc., all with inscriptions. The group above these
is the *Judgment of Solomon by two unknown Florentines. At the
córner towards the Lagune, Adam and Eve. Mr. Ruskin, who gives
an elabórate description of these sculptures in his 'Stories of Venice',
affirms that the capital under this group, 'in the workmanship and
grouping of its foliage', is, on the whole, the flnest he knows in
Europe. At the S.E. angle, the sin of Noah. All these are Gothic.
In the centre of the Piazzetta facade is an alto-relief of the Lion
of St. Mark with a kneeling figure of Doge Andrea Gritti (1523-38),
which was destroyed by the Radicáis in 1797 and restored by Urbano
Bottasso in 1897. Adjacent is a Venetia enthroned (15th cent.).
The transition from late-Gothic to Renaissance forms is illus-
trated by the fine portal adjoining St. Mark's, built in 1438-43
by Giov. and Bart. Buon the Eider. It is callee! Torta della Carta
from the placards which announced the decrees of the Republic
here. The figure of Temperan ce, below to the left, the charming
Putti, climbing among the Gothic foliage of the tympanum, and the
figure of Justice, above, are especially attractive. The relief of the
Lion of St. Mark with the kneeling figure of Doge Franc. Foscari,
above the portal, is modern (comp. p. 303).
The magniflcent *Couet was begun about 1484 by Ant. Rizzo,
continued in 1499-1511 by Pietro Lombardo and in 1545-50 by Ant.
Searpagnino, but only partly completed. The florid facade on the E.
side is probably by Rizzo. The little facade adjoining St. Mark's
at the N.E. comer, attributed to Gugl. Bergamasco (1520), is less
gorgeous, but more happily proportioned. Within one of the highest