296 Route 47. VENICE. a. Piazza of St. Mark:
with mosaica by Michiel Giambono and an nnknown Paduan Master. Adjoin¬
ing is the Cappella di Sant' Isidoro, with the tomb of the saint.
To the right and left of the Choir is tasteful Renaissance panelling,
by Fra Seb. Schiavone, above which are six reliefa in bronze (three on each
side), by Jac. Sansovino, from the life of St. Mark. To the left is the
throne (Sedia Putriarcule) oí the archbishop, by Succurdo (1895). — On the
balustrade of the Stalls are (centre) the four Evangelists in bronze, by
Sansovino, and (sidea) four Fathers of the church, by Girolamo Caliari (1614).
The High Altar (Altar Maggiore) stands beneath a canopy of verde
antico, borne by four columna of marble with reliefa of the llth century.
The "Pala d'Oro, enamelled work with jewels, on platea of gold and silver,
executed at Constantinople in 1105 for the front of an altar, forms the
altar-piece; it was re-arranged in the 13th aud 14th cent, and furnished
with Gothic additions. It is uncovered at Easter only, but is shown daily
except on feativals, 11-2, by tickets (50 c.) which admit to the treasury also.
Under the high-altar repose the relies of St. Mark, as the marble slab at
the back records. — Behind the high-altar is a second Altar with four
spiral columns of alabaster, said to have belonged to the Temple of Solomon,
of which the two white onea in the middle are tranalucent. The Mosaics
in the Dome represent Christ surrounded by Oíd Testament saints; those
of the apse, Christ enthroned (1506). The door leading to the sacristy, to
the left, behind the high-altar, bears reliefs of the Entombment and Re¬
surrection of Christ, and admirable heads of Evangelists and Prophet (said
to be portraits of the leading Venetian artista of the time) executed in
bronze by Sansovino (1556).
The Sacristy (Sagrestia), to the left, contains some flne mosaics on the
vaulting (1524). Cabineta with intarsia work by Fra Seb. Schiavone, Ant.
and Paolo da Mantova, etc. (1450-1520).
The Crypt, restored in 1901, is one of the oldest parts of the edifice
(entr. from the Sacristy; adm. 50 c, from Nov. to May; closed 12-2). It con¬
taina a multitude of short columns of Greek marble, and in the middle
is an enclosure with marble railings of the early-Christian period.
The Right Transept contains two bronze Candelabra, of the end of the
16th century. — In the córner is the entrance to the Treasury (Tesoro di
San Marco; open daily, except festivals, 11-2; 50 c): in front, an episcopal
throne of the 7th cent., with symbolical reliefs, said to be from Grado
(p. 353); in a glass-case to the left, valuable Byzantine book-covers. On
the table to the left, two Gothic candelabra (15th cent.); adjacent, to the
right, bust of John the Baptist, perhaps of the llth cent. (?). By the rear-
wall is an antependium in beaten silver (14th cent.). In the cabinets are
the sword of the Doge Morosini (p. 289), sumptuous aChurch-furniture
works in rock-crystal, agate, and turquoise.
In the right aisle, cióse to the principal entrance, ia the Battistero
(closed, i/2 fr.), in the centre of which ia a large font of 1546. The bronze
lid, adorned with fine reliefa by Tiziano Minio oí Padua and Desiderio of
Florence, bears a bronze statue of John the Baptist, by Francesco Segala
(1565). Opposite the door, the Gothic monument of Doge Andrea Dándolo
(d. 1354). The block of granite on the altar ia from Mt. Tabor. The
mosaics in the vaulting date from the 13th and 14th centuries. In the
central dome, Christ commanding his disciples to baptize the Gentiles in
his ñame; the other mosaics are chiefly from the life of John the Baptist.
— From the Baptistery we enter the Cappella Zeno, which is visible
through the railing in the entrance-vestibule. In the centre rises the
handsome •Monument of Cardinal Giambattista Zeno (d. 1501), entirely in
bronze, designed like the altar by Al. Leopardi and Ant. Lombardo (1501-19);
on the sarcophagus is the figure of the cardinal, over lifesize; below are
six Virtues by Paolo Savino. The handsome altar and canopy are also
east in bronze, with the exception of the frieze and the bases of the
columns. Over the altar are groups in bronze, of the "Madonna ('della
Scarpa'), by Ant. Lomburdo (1515), and St. Peter and John the Baptist, by
P. Savino; above, a relief of God the Father, executed by Ant. Lomburdo;
on the altar itself, a relief of the Resurrection. To the right and left,
two lions in coloured marble.