288 Route 47. VENICE.
Arsenal (p. 329): week-days, 9-3, closed on Sun. and holidays. The
docka are not ahown without the permission of the admiralty.
Biblioteca Marciana (p. 298): week-days, 10-5, MSS. only ahown on
""Paluce of the Doges (p. 299): week-days, 9-3, 1 fr. 20c, including the
Pozzi; Sun. and holidays, 10-2, gratis; closed on New Year's Day, Easter
Sunday, Ascensión Day, and Christmaa Day. The tickets are in four
parts and are valid for one day only. Guide wholly unneceaaary. The
attendanta are ready to give what information ia required.
Fonduzione Querini-Stampalia (p. 325): on Sun. Si Thurs., 9-4.
Galleria Inlernazionale d'Arte Moderna (p. 331): week-daya, 9 4, 1 fr.;
on Sun. and holidays, 9-2, gratis.
Museo Cívico (p. 332): daily, 9-3, 1 fr. (admitting also to the Casa
Correr, p. 331); Sun. and holidaya free. The Muaeum ia a ateamboat-
station (p. 284).
Palazzo Reale (p. 293): Sün. * Thurs., 10-3; fee 1 fr.
Prívate Palaces. The only palaces regularly shown to the public are
the Palazzi Michiel dalle Colonne (p. 318), Vendramin-Calergi (p. 319), Labia
(p. 320), and Grimani (p. 317).
Scuola di San Rocco (p. 337), daily, 9-5 in summer, 9-4 in March, April,
Sept., & Oct., 10-3 in winter: 1 fr., incl. the Church of S. Rocco.
Seminario Patriarcale (p. 340; Galleria Manfredini), daily 9-12 and after
2 p.m., 72 fr.
The gondoliers ñame the palaces and churches as they pass. Interest¬
ing walks may also be taken with tbe aid of the plan; some of the out
of the way quarters of the town are better avoided by ladies unless ac-
companied by a gentleman. Some of the chief routea, t. g. from the Piazza
of St. Mark to the railway-station, to the post-office, and to the steamer-
stations on the Grand Canal, and from the Galleria d'Arte Moderna to the
Museo Cívico, are indicated by notices on the street - corners. In case of
doubt a boy may easily be found to show the way (5-10 c). — Guides
(comp. p. xvi) are in most cases quite needless, and few, if any, can be
trusted to treat their dienta fairly and aquarely.
The Carnival, which formerly presented a gayer and lighter acene at
Venice than in any other city of Italy, has of late entirely lost its signi-
ficance. — The city authorities sometimea give Serenada, i.e. concerta with
illuminationa on the Canal Grande. — The Regattas held periodically on
the Grand Canal are characteristic and interesting. The course ia from
the Public Gardens to the Railway Station and back to the Pal. Foscari.
— The Festa del Redentore (second Sun. in July) is also interesting.
History. For the early history of Venice, see p. 242. The foundation
of the Eastern supremacy of Venice was laid by Doge Enrico Dándolo
(1192-1205), who conquered Constantinople in 1204. In consequence of this
Venice gained possession of numerous placea on the coaats of the Adriatic
and the Levant, from Durazzo to Trebiaond, and of most of the Greek
islands, including Candia, which was administered on the model of the
mother-city. During the conquest and adminiatration of these new terri-
tories there aróse a class of nobles, who declared themselves hereditary
in 1297 and excluded the rest of the people from all share in the govern¬
ment. The supreme authority lay with the Great Council (Maggior Con-
siglio), which consisted of all members of the Nobili above twenty. The
executive waa vested in a Doge, or Duke, and six counsellors, with
whom was associated the Council of the Pregadi. The Pregadi were after¬
wards united with the higher officials to form the Senate. The duty of
the Avvogadori di Comune was to aee that the public officials governed
constitutionally. After the conspiracy of Baiamonte Tiepolo (1310) the
chief power waa vested in the Council of Ten (Consiglio dei Dieci), elected
yearly by the Maggior Consiglio; and this tribunal, from which the State
Inquisition was developed in the 16th cent., controlled, in conjunction
with the doge and his councillors, every department of government.