45. From Vicenza to Treviso.
37'/a M., Railway in 2-2i/2 hrs. (fares 5 fr. 50 c., 4 fr., 2 fr. 40 c).
Vicenza, see p. 265. — 10 M. Carmignano, beyond which the
Brenta is crossed.
14i/2 M. Cittadella (160 ft.; Alb. Roma; Cappello), with 3600 in¬
hab., junction of the Padua and Bassano railway (p. 280). The
town, with its well-preserved mediseval *Walls, was founded in
1220 by the Paduans for protection against the Trevisans, who had
built Castelfranco jn 1218. The Cathedral contains a Last Supper
by Jacopo Bassano.
21i/2 M. Castelfranco Véneto (145 ft.; Albergo della Spada, R.
2 fr.; Albergo Stella d'Oro; Caffe del Genio, at the Spada), a plea¬
sant country - town with 5200 inhab., in the centre of which
rise the towers and walls of its oíd castle, shaded by venerable
plane-trees. This town was the birthplace of the painter Giorgio
Barbarelli, surnamed II Giorgione (about 1477-1512; comp. p. 291),
a marble statue of whom adorns the piazza (1882). Behind the
high-altar of the Cathedral is a **Madonna with SS. Francis and
Liberalis by that master (1504; restored); in the sacristy are fres¬
coes of Justice, Prudence, Time, Fame , and four Cupids, by
Paolo Veronese and Batt. Zelotti, early works brought from the
Villa Soranza (painted in 1551).
From Castelfranco (or from Cornuda, p. 347) a viait may be paid to the
Villa Giacomelli, near Masér, which may be reached by carriage (6 8 fr.)
in l3/i hr. (A pleasant détour may be made by Asoló or by Fanzolo, see below.)
— The 'Villa Giacomelli (formerly Manin; not always open), often called
Villa Masér from the neighbouring village oí Masér, was erected by Palladio
(1566-80) and is celebrated for its «Frescoes by Paolo Veronese, executed
in 1566-68 for the Venetian patrician Marcantonio Bárbaro, and ranking
among the master's best works. They consist of mythological represent-
ations and scenes from social life, grandly conceived, while some of the
illusive figures so common in the later period of art are introduced.
Thus, by the entrance, a girl and a page, who through a half-opened
door apparently watch the persons entering. In the dining-room, upon
ita fantastically painted architecture, are seated Ceres with her train
and Cupids. The ceiling of the great hall is decorated with the Councils
of the Gods and the Feast of the Gods on Mount Olympus. The chapel
attached to the villa contains stucco-work by Al. Vittoria. — About 41/2 M.
to the W. of Masér, on a prominent ridge a little above the road to (131/2 M.)
Bassano (p. 280), lies Asoló (680 ft.; Inn), the city, now unimportant, to
which the widowed queen Catharine Cornaro retired on her abdication
(p. 289). Catharine retained her title and 'signed herself Queen of Cyprus,
Jeruaalem, and Armenia, and Lady of Asoló. There she lived, dispensing
justice, founding a pawnshop for the assistance of the poor, distributing
corn, gratis, in years of diatress, listening to the courtly conversation of
Cardinal Bembo, and amusing herself in the gardena of her aummer-house
on the plain' (Horatio F. Brown). The Parish Church contains a fine altar-
piece (Madonna with SS. Anthony Abbas and Basil) by Lorenzo Lotto (early
Several unimportant stations are passed. — 37V2 M. Treviso,
see p. 345.