276 Route 44. PADUA. aanta Giustina.
In the Via Cesarotti, No. 3950 (E. of Sant' Antonio), stands the
Palazzo Giustiniani (Pl. E, 5), with two *Summer-houses built hy
Falconetto for Luigi Cornaro in 1524, with interesting frescoes and
stucco-work in the style of Raphael's logge, which, though dilapi-
dated, form one of the flnest monuments of that period.
A little to the S. of the Piazza del Santo, at the end of the Via
Orto Botánico (p. 275), lies the Botanic Gaeden (Pl. D, E, 6),
founded in 1545 (ring at the gate). Director, Prof. Saccardo.
The hot-houses to the left of the entrance contain an araucaria (Arau¬
caria excelsa) 66 ft. high, dating from 1829, and a small Livistona australis.
— Cióse by are a Vitex agnus castus planted in 1550 and the superb Palma
di Goethe (Chamaerops humilis), 21 ft. high, planted about 1585, viaited and
deacribed by Goethe in 1786, and enclosed within a building of its own
aince 1874. Ia the wilder portion of the gardens are a hickory (Carya),
118 ft. high, planted in 1760, and a huge hollow plane-tree, planted in
1680. The main building containa a valuable library and portraita of emi-
nent botanists of all countries.
The Via Donatello leads to the W. from the Botanic Garden to
the large Piazza Vittorio Emanuele Secondo (Pl. C, D, 6), formerly
the Prato della Valle. In the centre is a shady promenade adorned
with a double series of 82 statues of illustrious men connected
with Padua. In the inner row to the left, Steph. Bathori, John So-
bieski, Gustavus Adolphus, Livy, in the outer row Tasso, Ariosto,
Petrarch, Galilea, etc. This spacious Piazza is deserted except at
the time of the fair (fiera), which begins on the festival of St. Anthony
(13th June) and lasts for three days. — On the W. side of the
piazza is the Loggia Amulea (Pl. C, 6), a modern Gothic structure,
used by the judges at the horse-races held here annually on 12th
June. Below are marble Statues of Dante and Giotto, by Vincenzo
At the S.E. angle of the Piazza is *Santa Giustina (Pl. D, 7), a
Renaissance chuTch of imposing proportions, begun by Girol. da
Brescia in 1501, continued by Al. Leopardi in 1521-22, and com¬
pleted in 1532, with the exception of the facade, by Moroni of Ber¬
gamo. The interior consists of nave and aisles, flanked with rows
of chapéis; it is 364 ft. long and 98 ft. wide, with a transept 250 ft.
long. The aisles are roofed with barrel-vaulting, the nave with
three fíat domes. The transept and choir termínate in semicircular
recesses and are surmounted by four lofty cupolas.
The church is paved with coloured marble. Behind the high-altar,
which contains the tomb of St. Justina (d. 303), is the "Martyrdom of St.
Justina, by Paolo Veronese. Beautifully carved choir stalls from drawings
of Campagnola (1560), New Testament subjects above, and Oíd Testament
below. In the chapel on the right of the choir, a Pieta, a large group in
marble by Parodi (17th cent.). The sacristy contains a terracotta statue
of the Madonna by Donatello's assistant Giovanni da Pisu(r). The oíd choir,
the only remnant of the original church (entrance by door on the right of
high-altar) also possesses fine carved stalls. — The cloister-courts are now
inaccessible, being used for military purposes.
The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Vanzo (Pl. C, 5, 6),
to the N.W. of the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele Secondo, contains a