Sant' Antonio. PADUA. 44. Route. 273
From the Via Otto Febbraio (p. 271) the Via San Francesco,
skirting the S. side of the university, leads to the Ponte San Lorenzo
(Pl. D, 4). No. 3358 in this street is Dante's House (comp. p. 278).
At the córner of the street almost opposite it is a mediaeval sarco¬
phagus of 1283, known as the Tomb of Antenor (comp. p. 270).
A few paces farther on is the Via del Santo, leading to tho right
to the (6 min.) Piazza del Santo (Pl. D, 5). Here, in front of the
church, rises the equestrian **Statue of Gattameláta (Erasmo da
Narni; d. 1443), general of the army of the Republic of Venice in
1438-41, by Donatello, the first great equestrian monument east in
bronze in Italy since antiquity, completed in 1453.
Sant' Antonio (Pl. D, E, 5), the sepulchral church of St. Anthony
of Padua (b. at Lisbon, d. 1231; an associate of St. Francis of
Assisi), commonly called 'II Santo', was begun in 1232; the nave
was completed in 1307, and the remainder in 1424. The church
was restored in 1749 after a fire and whitewashed in the interior.
This unattractive structure is 126 yds. long and 60 yds. broad
across the transepts. It has seven domes, heightened in 1424, of
which the largest is 125 ft. high. This church is visited every year
by crowds of pilgrims.
The modern bronze doors, by Camillo Boito (1895), replace the ancient
doors of wood. Four Gothic niches in the central portal contain statuettes
of SS. Francis, Louis of Toulouse, Anthony, and Bonaventura, the chief
saints of the Franciscan order. In the lunette above are SS. Bernardino
and Antonio holding the monogram of Christ, a fresco by Mantegna (1452).
The Interior has recently been repainted. The nave and aisles are
borne by twelve pillars-, the aemicircular choir haa eight clustered columns,
an ambulatory, and a series of eight chapela. — On the entrance-wall, to the
right, ia the tomb of Ant. Trombetta, by Riccio (1522).
Nave. On the right and left near the beginning are two holy-water
basins, with statuettes of John the Baptist, by Tullio Lombardo (t), and
Christ, by Tiz. Aspetli. — By the 2nd pillar on the left, Monument of Aless.
Contarini (d. 1553), Venetian general, with six alavea as aupporters, by
Sanmicheli, Al. Vittoria, and others. By the 2nd pillar on the right, the sim¬
ple and chaste monument of Card. Pietro Bembo (d. 1547), by Sanmicheli.
Right Aisle, lst Chapel: on the left, the sarcophagus of General Gatta¬
meláta (aee above), and on the right, that of his son Giovanni da Narni (d. 1455),
probably an early work by Bart. Bellano of Padua, a pupil of Donatello.
Right Transept. Cappella San Felice, formerly San Jacópo, erected
about 1372-82 by Andriolo de Sanctis of Venice, restored in 1773, with a
new organ and "Frescoes by Altichierio (1376), chief representative of the
earlier Verona School (p. 215), and his assistant Avanzo. Behind the altar,
a Crucifixión, in three parts. In the lunettes above and on the side-walls,
scenes from the legend of St. James. Best light in the afternoon.
Left Transept. "Cappella del Santo, a florid late-Renaissance edifice
begun by Giov. Minello after Riccio's design (1500) and continued by Jac.
Sansovino and Falconetto, with four columns in front, and two elegant
corner-pillars; between the arches are the Evangelista. Walls embellished
with nine high reliefs of the 16th cent., Scenes from the life of St. Anthony
(beginning to the left of the altar): 1. Ordination of St. Anthony, by Antonio
Minello (1512); 2. Resuscitation of a murdered woman, by Giovanni Dentone;
3. Resuscitation of a youth, by Girolamo Campagna; 4. Resuscitation of a
suicide surrounded by women, by Jac. Sansovino; 5. Resuscitation of a
child, by Minello and Sansovino (1528); 6, 7. Tullio Lombardo (1525), Dis-
covery of a stone in the corpse of a miser instead of a heart, and Healing
of a youth, who having atruck his mother in anger had punished himself
Baedekeb. Italy I. 13th Edit. 18