43. Route. 26ü
(Pl. A, 3). Principal stationa : 47z M. Tarernelle (p. 265); 7 M. Montecchio
Maggiore (235 ft.; Alb. Rosa d'Oro), with the ^imposing Villa Cordellina
(frescoes by Tiepolo; to the right), commandéd by two ruined castles;
8 M. San Vitale, whence a branch-line runs to Arzignano and Chiampo,
while our line ascends the Agno Valley between the basaltic spurs of the
Alps. 197* M- Valdagno (870 ft.; Alb. delle Alpi), a small town with 6800
inhabitants. — Hilly road thence (6 M.; diligence thrice daily in 1 hr.
10 min.; one-horse carr. 4, two-horse 7 fr.) to the finely situated chaly-
beate Baths of Recoaro (1460 ft.; Gr. Hót. Giorgetti, pena. 8-12 fr., Edén
Hotel, at the springs; Alb. alia Fortuna, Alb. Trettenero, Citta di Genova,
etc., in the town; Reale Stábilimento Idroterapico e Kinesiterapico, a large
bath-house), visited annually by 7-8000 persons in the season (June Sept.).
Mountain-tours: from the Rifugio ScHo (4830 ft.), 3 hrs. to the N.W., to
(2 hrs.) Vallarsa (see below), the BafTelan (5875 ft.), the Cornetto (6240 ft.), the
Pasubio (7325 ft.), and the Cima di Posta, (7180 ft.; p. 258); over the Passo della
Lora to Giazza (p. 256). — A good road (omn. to Rovereto, p. 21) leads from
Recoaro over the Passo Xon (2200 ft.) to (7 M.) Valli dei Signori (see below).
A Railway (20 M., in 1 hr.; fares 3 fr. 35, 2 fr. 40, 1 fr. 50 c.) runa
from Vicenza to the N. by (8 M.) Dueville and (13i/2 M.) Thiene (Alb. della
Luna), with a cháteau containing frescoes by P. Veronese, to Schio (635 ft.;
Croce d'Oro, near the cathedral, R. from li/2fr.), a town wih 10,200 inhab.
and extensive wool-factories, the largest of which is the Lanificio Rossi.
Sign. A. Rossi (1819-88; statue in front of the factory) founded a workmen's
colony, rebuilt the church of Sant' Antonio Abbute, and erected the figure
of a Weaver (by Monteverde). The cathedral of San Pietro is of the
18th century. The cemetery is worthy of a visit. Schio ia a good starting-
point for excursions. — From Schio a steam-tramway runs N. to (12 M.)
Arsiero (1165 ft.; Alb. Bortolan), the chief place in the Val d'Astico; an¬
other to the W. to (272 M.) Torrebelvicino (850 ft.).
The Highroad to Rovereto from Vicenza skirts the monntains, viá
(11 M.) Malo (380 ft.) and (151/2 M.) Schio, to (18 M.) Torrebelvicino (see
above); thence it ascends the valley of the Leogra, viá (21 M.) Valli dei
Signori (1150 ft.; see above), to the (28'/2 M.) Piano della Fugazza (3i95 ft.;
Hót. Dolomiti Meridionali, pens. 7-10 fr.), the boundary between Italy and
Tyrol; and finally descends the valley of tbe Arsa, viá (34 M.) Vallarsa
(2675 ft.; inn), to (.441/2 M.) Rovereto (p. 21).
From Vicenza to Treviso, see R. 45.
Between Vicenza and Padua are (35 M.) Lerino and (39l/2 M.)
Poiana di Granfion. To the S., the Monti Euganei (p. 376).
48i/2 M. Padua, see p. 270. From Padua to Venice viá Fusina,
see p. 278.
To the left, as the train proceeds, are seen the distant Venetian
Alps. At (52 M.) Ponte di Brenta (46 ft.; p. 278) we cross the
Brenta. — 58y2 M. Dolo (26 ft.; p. 278). — Near (61 M.) Maraño
a canalized arm of the Brenta is crossed. To the left is the Venetian
advanced fort of Carpenedo.
661/2 M. Mestre (13 ft.; Railway Restaurant), a town with 6500 in¬
hab. , is the junction for the lines viá Treviso and Udine to Pontebba
and Vienna (R. 6) and to Gorizia and Trieste (R. 48 a), for the
line viá Portogruaro and Monfalcone to Trieste (R. 48 b), and for
the electric light railway to San Giuliano (Venice, p. 278). — Venice,
rising from the sea, now comes into view. Beyond Fort Malghera
(left) the train reaches the Beidge (222 arches of 31 ft. span ;
length 2i/3 M.) by which it crosses the Lagune in 8 minutes. -
71i/2M. Venice, see p. 281.