268 Route 43. VICENZA. From Verona
last-named street, rises the richly ornamented Palazzo Poeto-
Bakbaean (Pl. B, C, 2), by Palladio (1570), and at the N. end of
the street, to the left, are the Gothic Pal. Porto, with an attractive
early-Renaissance portal of 1481, and two Palazzi Colleoni, of which
one is Gothic with a flne colonnade and staircase, the other by Palladio.
We now follow the Contrada di Riale to the W. to the Contrada
San Lorenzo, at the end of which, in the piazza of the same ñame,
stands the flneGothic church of San Lorenzo (Pl. B, 2; 1280-1344),
containing the tomb of Bart. Montagna (p. 265), the Renaissance
mural monument of Leonardo Porto (d. 1562), and, in the chapel
to the left of the choir, frescoes by Montagna representing scenes
from the life of St. Peter (injured). — In front of the church is a
Statue of Giacomo Zanella (1820-88), the poet, by C. Spazzi (1893).
In the S. part of this street, known as the Contrada Pozzo Rosso,
is (left) the Palazzo Valmarana (Pl. B, 2), by Palladio (1566).
In the W. part of the town is San Rocco (Pl. A, 2), with a high-altai-
piece by Buonconsiglio, Madonna enthroned with SS. Sebastian, Bernard,
Peter, and Paul, remarkable for its fine colouring (1502).
The route to the pilgrimage-church of Madonna del Monte on
Monte Beeico is either through the Porta San Giuseppe (Pl. C, 3;
before passing through which we observe the Ponte San Michele,
crossing the Retroné, by Palladio); or to the right from the railway
station, past the Villa Arrigoni (Pl. C, 4) and across the railway, to
the arcade leading to the church. This passage, 710yds. long, was
sharply contested in 1848 by Italian irregular troops, who had forti¬
fied the hill with its villas, and the Austrians. At the cross-roads
(Pl. C, 5; 295 ft.) a fine view is obtained of the town and the
Venetian Alps. The church of Madonna del Monte (Pl. C, 6), a
little farther up, rebuilt in 1668 by Ag. Barella, is in the form of a
Greek cross with a dome. The present left transept was the original
church (1428); in the sacristy: Bart. Montagna, *Pieta (1500). The
oíd refectory of the monastery (shown by the sacristán) contains the
Banquet of Gregory the Great by P. Veronese (1572), tom to pieces
in 1848, but restored with the aid of the copy in the Pinacoteca.
From the above-mentioned cross-roads a road leads to the E.
along the hill (comp. Pl. C, D, 5), from which a (2 min.) foot¬
path diverges to the right, passing the Villa Fogazzaro and the Villa
Valmarana (with frescoes by Tiepolo), to the famous, but now
dilapidated *Rotonda by Palladio (now the Villa Zanini), which
lies 10 min. farther on, at the N.E. base of the Monti Berici. It
is a square building with Ionic eolonnades surmounted with pedi-
ments. In the centre is a circular domed hall. Visitors are generally
admitted (except on Sun. afternoon) by the door of the farm, to the
right of the main entrance (knock ; fee */2 fr.).
The Cimitero, to the N.E. of the town (through the Borgo Scroffa,
Pl. D, 1), contains the tomb of Palladio (d. 1580).
From Vicenza to Recoaro, 25 M. Steam Tramway to Valdagno IS1/4 M.,
in 2 hrs. (fares 2 fr. 40, 1 fr. 20 c), starting near the railway-station