266 Route 43. viujutin.. From Verona
a large unfinished palace by Palladio, with two stories united by a
row of Corinthian columns with a rich cornice.
To the left, at the beginning of the Corso Pbincipe Umbebto,
which intersects the entire town, lies the Palazzo Bonin(P\. B, 3),
by Vine. Scamozzi. On the right, opposite the church of San Filippo
Neri (1719), stands the Palazzo Loschi (18th cent.). — The Strada
Loschi, the next cross-street on the right, leads to the —
Duomo (Pl. B, 3), consisting of a broad and low Gothic nave
with wide vaulted arches, side-chapels in place of aisles, a Renais¬
sance choir, much raised, and dome, and a crypt of the 18th century.
In the 4th chapel to the left are frescoes and a Madonna with saints
by Bart. Montagna, in an oíd frame; in the 5th to the right is a
Death of the Virgin by Lor. Veneziano (1366). — To the right in
the piazza is the Vescovado, or episcopal palace, with a fagade of
1819; the court (1543) contains to-the right an elegant little early-
Renaissance arcade by Tomm. Fromentone (1494).
We return to the Corso. On the left is the Palazzo Thiene, and
farther on, beyond the Contrada Pozzo Rosso (p. 268), is the Pal.
Braschi (usually known as the Casino Vecchio), two Gothic ediflces
of the 15th century. On the right, beyond the Contrada Cavour, is
the handsome Palazzo Porto (formerly Pal. Trissino - Bastón), by
Scamozzi (1588-1662). Opposite is the Contrada Porti, see p. 267.
The Contrada Cavour leads to the handsome Piazza de' Signori,
with two columns of the Venetian period. Here rises the **Basilica
Palladiana (Pl. C, 2, 3), with its grand eolonnades in two stories,
the lower Doric, the upper Ionic, surrounding the Palazzo della
Ragione (town-hall), an earlier building in the pointed style. These
eolonnades, begun in 1549 but not finished until 1614, are among
Palladio's earliest works. On the flrst floor is a large hall with a
finely vaulted wooden roof (key at the pólice-office in the Muni¬
cipio ; gratuity 30-50 c.) The slender red brick tower is 270 ft. in
height. Adjacent, at the córner of the Piazza della Biava, is the
Tribunale. — Opposite the Basílica is the unfinished Loggia del
Capitanio (p. 272), also by Palladio (1571), overladen with plástic
embellishments; it now belongs to the Municipio. Adjoining it on
the right is the Monte di Pieta, erected in 1704 for the Biblioteca
Bertoliana, by Ant. Muttoni. — On the S.W. side of the Basílica
rises a Statue of Palladio in marble, by Gaiassi (1859).
We return to the Corso, in which, to the left, beyond the Con¬
trada Giacomo Zanella (p. 267), are the Pal. Da Schio (Gothic, with
early-Renaissance portal) and, at the end of the Corso, the Casa di
Palladio, the facade of which was once painted (1566). We next
reach, on the right, in the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, the —
Museo Civico (Pl. C, 2), established in the Pal. Chiericati, one
of Palladio's flnest ediflces, seriously injured in 1848, but restored
in 1855 (open daily 11-2, free; 9-11 and 2-4, fee i/2-l fr.).