264 Route 42. CARPÍ.
From Sozzara to Ferrara, 51 M., railway in 2'/4-372 hrs. The chief
stations are (211/2 M.) Poggio Rusco (p. 307), (3072 M.) Sermide, on the right
bank of the Po, and, beyond the Bonifica di Burana, a large tract of land
(210,000 acres) which waa drained in 1892-99, (401/2 M.) Bondeno. — 51 M.
Ferrara, see p. 379.
After passing (42 M.) Gonzaga-Reggiolo we enter the district of
Emilia (p. 355). — 54 M. Carpi (98 ft.; León d' Oro), a town of
7200 inhab. and an episcopal see, with an oíd Palace, which from
1327 was the residence of the Pió family. Alberto Pió (1475-1531),
a pupil of Aldus Manutius and a patrón of Ariosto, built the hand¬
some Palace Court (in the chapel, frescoes by Bernardino Losco),
and began the New Cathedral after plans by Baldassare Peruzzi (ca.
1514). In the interior, to the left, a Christ by Begarelli (p. 372),
two statues by Prospero Clementi, and a pulpit of the llth cen¬
tury. The Loggia opposite the cathedral and the Colonnades also
testify to the taste and culture of this prince, who was expelled
by Charles V. in 1525. A street leads from the Loggia to the Fran-
ciscan church of *San Niccolb, founded in 1493 (nave by Peruzzi?).
Behind the palace is the Oíd Cathedral (La Sagra), founded in
751 and altered after 1515. The ancient Romanesque portal has
been inserted in the facade designed by Peruzzi; the interior con¬
tains the Gothic tomb of Manfredo Pió (1351). Cióse by is a Roman¬
esque campanile (1217-21). The church of San Francesco, rebuilt
in 1682, contains the beautiful tomb of Marco Pió (d. 1418).
From Carpi to Correggio and Reggio, see p. 364.
58 M. Soliera. — 631/2 M. Modena (p. 372).
43. From Verona to Venice. Vicenza.
711/2 M. Railway in 2-4i/2 hra. (fares 13 fr. 25, 9 fr. 35, 6 fr. 5 c.; ex¬
press 14 fr. 70, 10 fr. 30 c). Dining-cars are attached to some of the ex¬
press trains, and some have no 2nd class. Finest views generally to the
left. — The 'train de luxe' between Cannes and Vienna (see p. 23) is
available on this section (l3/i hr.; fare 20 fr.).
Verona (Porta Vescovo), see p. 243. The line traverses an
extremely fertile district, planted with vines, mulberries, and
maize, and intersected with irrigation-trenches. To the left appears
San Michele (p. 256). — 3V2 M- San Martino Buonalbergo (145 ft.),
with the high-lying Villa Musella, amidst cypresses. — 7i/2 M.
Caldiero. Excursión to the Monti Lessini, see p. 256. — The warm
mineral springs of (8i/2 M.) Bagni di Caldiero were known to the
Romans; they rise out of the basalt rock and contain iodine. — We
next pass Soave, once belonging to the Scaligers, on the slope to
the left, presenting a good picture of a mediseval fortified town.
121/2 M. San Bonifacio (p. 256). On a hill to the N. is Monte-
forte. Arcóle, 3y2 M. to the S., was the scene of the battles of
15-17th Nov., 1796, between the Austrians under Alvinczy and
the French under Bonaparte, Masséna, Augerean, and Lannes. —
16 M. Lonigo (steam-tramway to the village, 4y2 M. to the S.E. see