to Modena. ESTE. 42. Route. 263
On the other side of the neglected garden is the Casino della Grotta,
with its exquisito little rooms and its grotto encircling a small garden.
Giulio Romano's House (Pl. B, 4) is No. 14, Via Carlo Poma.
The Pal. di Giustizia (No. 7; opposite), with its colossal hermas,
was also built by him.
From Mantua to Cremona, see p. 209.
Light railways to Brescia (p. 219), to Asóla, to Ostiglia, and to (26 M.) Via-
dana (p. 218). — The last-mentioned line passes (19'/2 M.) Sabbioneta, which,
under Vespasiano Gonzaga (1531-91), general of Charles V. and Philip II.,
became the model of a small princely residence-town of the Renaissance
period. It waa well fortified and had broad, atraight streeta, a mint, an
academy, a library, a printing-office, etc. Faded traces of the former splen-
dourlinger in the Municipio, formerly the Palazzo Ducale, with frescoes and
stucco-embellishments by Bern. Campi and Alberto Cavalli of Cremona,
and in the Palazzo del Giardino, the summer-palace, charmingly decorated
within by Bern. Campi and others. Adjoining the latter ia the Gullería
Ducale, or former museum of antiquities. The Theatre, built in 1588-90
by Vine. Scamozzi, follows the general plan of the theatre in Vicenza
(p. 267). In the handsome Chiesa dell' Incoronata is the tomb of Vespa¬
siano Gonzaga, with a seated figure of the deceased, by Leone Leoni.
From Mantua to Monselice, 52 M., railway in 21/2-3 hrs. (fares 9 fr. 75
6 fr. 85, 4 fr. 40 c). At (2372 M.) Cérea we join the Verona and Rovigo
line (p. 257), which we follow to (28'/2 M.) Legnago (p. 257).
377sM. Montagnana (52 ft.; Arena; Trentino), a town of 3500 inhab., the
well-preserved mediseval fortifications of which, with their pinnacled walls
and towers, amply repay a visit. In the picturesque Piazza stands the
Gothic Cathedral, with Renaissance door and choir, two altar-pieces by
Buonconsiglio (1511 and 1513; retouched), etc. The neighbouring Pal. del
Municipio is ascribed to Sanmicheli (p. 245) and contains a painting by
Buonconsiglio in the large hall (spoiled by restoration). Near the Porta San
Zeno is the Pal. Pisani, by Palladio, containing a chapel with the tomb
of the Venetian admiral Pisani.
47 M. Este (49 ft.; Albergo Cavullino; Centrule, R. I-I1/2 fr.), the ancient
Ateste, is a little town with 10,800 inhab. and a mediseval town-wall,
at the S. foot of the Euganean hills. It contains the now ruinous ancestral
residence of the House of Este (p. 379), which was rebuilt in-1338 by
Ubertino da Carrara (p. 217); the Porta Vecchia with a clock-tower; the
Cathedral, of ellipt.ical plan with a lofty choir (with a painting by Tiepolo,
Este saved from the plague by the prayers of St. Thecla); and the church
of San Martino, with a leaning tower. The church of Santa Maria delle
Consolazioni contains a Madonna by Cima da Conegliano (1504). The Museo
Nazionale Atestino, opened in 1902 in the Palazzo Mocenigo (I6th cent.),
contains a rich collection of prehistoric remains from tbe lake-dwellings
and cemeteries of the neighbourhood, including the Situla Benvenuti and
other fine bronze pails; and also a number of Grseco-Koman antiquities,
among which may be mentioned the 'Lapide del Venda', a bouudary-stone
of 141 B.C, and a Greek relief of the Medusa, dating from the early im¬
perial epoch. — The Casa Benvenuti commands a view of the Alps and
of the Apennines. — From Este to Arquá Petrarca, aee p. 378.
52 M. Monselice, station on the Padua and Bologna line (p. 378).
The train crosses the Po by an iron tubular bridge beyond
(32l/2 M.) Borgoforte, an unimportant place dominated by an oíd
castle. — 37!/2 M. Suzzara (Rail. Restaurant; Alb. Passera).
From Sozzara to Parma, 2772 M., railway in l'/2-2 hra. (fares 5 fr.,
3 fr. 50, 2 fr. 50 c). The chief station is (71/2 M.) Guastalla (Alb. León d' Oro),
a 8mali town near the Po, with 2700 inhab., which from 1538 to 1746 was
the seat of a lateral branch of the Gonzagas. In the market-place is the
bronze Statue of Ferdinand I. Gonzaga (d. 1557 at Brusaela), by Leone Leoni.
From Guastalla to Reggio, see p. 364. — 2772 M. Parma, see p. 364.