262 Route 42. MANTUA. From Verona
and satyrs at the vintage; 190. Román portrait-bust of the Republican
period; 192. Marcus Aureliua as a boy wearing the cap of the Salii; 194.
Bust of one of the Dioscuri. —- In the centre, "198. Torso of Venus (much
damaged); "210. Apollo, a marble copy of an archaie bronze statue in the
museum at Naples; 225. Greek sepulchra] urn; 237. Statue from a tomb
of a youth represented as Hermes. — At the end of the window-wall,
"276. Greek tomb-relief, Youth with a small servant. — Opposite, to the
right of the door, no number, Fine bronze portrait-head of a woman.
Farther to the left, 281. Colossal female head; 287. Bust of Homer; 292.
Román portrait; 309. Votive relief to ademi-god; 318. Sarcophagus-relief,
Venus and Adonis; 320. Tombstone of a Román trumpeter; 324. Frag¬
ment of a statue of Artemis; "328. Caryatid; *386. Bust of Eurípides.
The building on the S.E. side of the Piazza Dante, erected in
1767, but with a modern facade (1890) in place of the original class-
icist facade by Gius. Piermarini, accommodates the Reale Accademia
Virgiliana di Scienze e Belle Arti (Pl. D, 3), founded by Maria
Theresa, and the Museo Patuio (entr., Via dell' Accademia 23;
fee 1/2 fr.).
On the groundfloor are inscriptions, medieval and modern sculptures
(bust of Francesco II., by Gianmarco Cavalli), prehistoric antiquities, etc. —
On the first, floor are frescoes from Mantuan churches, paintings, oíd plan
of Rome (15ih cent.), die-stamps from Mantua, Bozzolo, Guastalla, Mon¬
ferrato, etc. On the end-walls of the last room is an early "Work by
Rubens, cut into two parts, representing the Gonzaga family adoring the
Near the Porta Pusterla is San Sebastiano (Pl. B, 4; no ad-
mission), the earliest Renaissance church built in the shape of a
Greek cross, erected in 1469 from the designs of León. Batt. Alberti.
Outside the gate is the *Palazzo del Té (Pl. A, B, 5; contracted
from Teietto ?), erected on the site of a stud-farm of the Gonzagas
as a country - house for Federico II. in 1525-35 by Giulio Romano,
and decorated with frescoes and grotesques from his designs by
Fr. Primaticcio, Benedetto da Pescia, Rinaldo Mantovano, and others.
Morning light best for the main rooms. The palace now belongs to
the town; entr. by the N. door (visitors ring; fee 1 fr.).
Antechamber, to the right of the entrance, Sun and Moon; modern
mural decorations. In the two anterooms are the arms of the Gonzagas
and scenes from Ovid (much defaced). Ist Room (Sala dei Cavalli) to the
left, the favourite Horses of Duke Frederick Gonzaga; fine coffered ceiling.
— 2nd Room (Sala di Psiche), *Myth of Psyche and Bacchanalians (the
latter restored, the upper paintings are in better preservación). Opposite
the entrance, Polyphemus. Franc. Penni (1528) assisted in the decoration
of this room. — 3rd Room (Camera delle Medaglie). In the lower ováis,
Fishing, Market-place, Gladiatorial corabais, etc.; on the ceiling, repre¬
sentation of the zodiac (in relief), etc. — 4th Room (Sala di Fetonte), with
beautiful "Stucco Ornamentation and imitations of ancient busts, by Pri¬
maticcio (1528), Fall of Phaéton, and many smaller pictures. Then a fine
open Loggia (Grande Atrio), History of David (Í533-34). — 5th Room
(Sala degli Stucchi), with a frieze by Primaticcio (Emp. Sigismund entering
Mantua in 1433), and stucco figures of Hercules and Mars. — 6th RooM(Sala
di Cesare), Frieze of Putti, by Primaticcio. — The 7th Room is the Sala
de' Giganti, extolled by Vasari, with walls fantastically adapted to the
painting, which was executed chiefly by Rinaldo Mantovano (1532-34), but
has been much restored (representing the Fall of the Giants, figures 14 ft.
in height). Lastly several Cabinets, with charming Raphaelite decoration,
and an oblong bath-room with shell-ornamentation.