to Modena. MANTUA. 42. Route. 261
1406 by Bartolino da Novara. The castle now contains the Archivio
Notarile and the Archivio di Stato.
The Notarial Archives Office, reached by the staircase on the left, is
open during office-hours only (9-4; Sun. Si holidays 9-12). Most of the fres¬
coes by Andrea Mantegna which once adorned this part of the castle are
obliterated, but those in the Camera degli Sposi (1474), which are among
hia flnest creations, were badly restored in 1846. Three scenes on the
entrance-wall represent •Lodovico Gonzaga meeting his son Francesco
(afterwards cardinal) on his return from Rome. Above the door ia a tablet
with an inscription, borne by beautiful putti with butterflies' wings. On
the other wall is the Family of the Gonzagas with their court: on the
left, Lodovico'Gonzaga with his wife Barbara. On the ceiling are por¬
traits of Román emperors in grisaille; in the spandrels are small mytho-
logical acenes; and in the centre is an illusive painting of an apparent
opening, through which Cupids and giris gaze down into the room. This
last was the model for all subsequent illusive paintings of the kind.
The upper rooms, now occupied by the State Archives, were used by
the Austrians as a prison for political prisoners.
In the little Piazza Santa Barbara, to the right of the Piazza
Castello, and belonging to the same imposing pile of buildings, is
the church of Santa Baebaka (Pl. D, 2), a handsome Renaissance
building by Giov. Batt. Bertani (1565). Over the high-altar, the
Beheading of St. Barbara, by Dom. Brusasorci. By the same master
are the angel-musicians on the wall to the left and the angels
with torches on the right.
To the N.W. of the Piazza Sordello is a vast space, planted
with trees and bounded by the Lago di Mezzo on the N. (drill-
ground), called the Piazza Vibgiliana (Pl. C, 2), with a hand¬
some arena, the Anfiteatro Virgiliano, beyond. which, from the
parapet towards the Lago di Mezzo, a view of the Alps is obtained.
The vaulted passage on the S.E. side of the Piazza Broletto
(p. 259) leads to the new Piazza Dante Alighieei (Pl. C, D, 3),
with a monument of Dante (1871). To the right in this square is
Palazzo degli Studi (Pl. C, 3), built in 1763, now containing
the Library, the Archivio Storico Gonzaga, and the *Museo Cívico,
which includes a number of interesting antiques, from Sabbioneta
(p. 263), etc.; gratuity 1/2-I fr.
The museum occupies a long gallery on the first floor. To the left of
the entrance, 2. Bust of youthful infernal deity (so-called Virgil); 9. Mel-
pomene; 16. Sarcophagus-relief, Revenge and flight of Medea; 26. Torso
of a boy (so-called Narcissus); 29. Sarcophagus-relief, Labours of Her¬
cules; 31. Greek tomb-relief, funeral supper and aacritice; 36. Female
torso; 43. Satyr and Nymph (relief); 56. Sarcophagua-relief, destruction
of Troy; 58. Fragment of an altar; 59. Fragment in relief, Two satyrs
with musical instruments beside an altar; 65. Fragment of a statue (so-
called Narcissus); 69. Sarcophagus-reliefs (marriage, sacrifices, and bar-
barians before an emperor). — In the adjoining room, on the right, the
so-called 'Seat of Virgil' and inscriptions. We now return to the hall.
End-wall, 148. Greek tomb-relief. Side-wall, 161. Late-Greek tomb-relief
with a man and wife; adjacent, 158, 164. Bacchic reliefs, probably imi-
tations of antiques executed at the Renaissance period; 168. Bust of Ms-
culapiua; 174. Relief, Throne with attribntes and eagle of Júpiter; 180.
Torso of an athlete; 184. Román portrait-bust of the time of the Republic ;
186. Fight between Romans and Gauls; 187. Decorative relief, Dionysius