254 Route 41. VERONA. b. Left Bank
To the S. of the Porta Vittoria (Pl. E, 5) is the Cimitero, laid
out on a grand scale, with its cypress avenue and handsome gateway
adorned with groups in marble by Spazzi. In the interior are Doric
colonnades, a lofty dome-church, and a number of large monuments
in marble. It is open till sunset.
Opposite the cemetery is the Ponte Aleardi (Pl. E, 6), leading to the
Via Pallone and the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele (p. 249). — The avenue on the
left bank of the Adige leads to the Railway Bridge, which afforda a fine
survey of the town and environs, and from which we may return to the
Porta Nuova (p. 250).
In the Via Venti Setiembre, to the E. of the Ponte delle Navi,
rises San Paolo di Campo Marzo (Pl. F, 5), which contains Ma¬
donnas with saints by Girolamo dai Libri (3rd altar to the right),
P. Veronese (right transept), and Bonsignori (to the left). Over the
high-altar, Madonna between SS. Peter and Paul by Giov. Caroto.
Farther to the E. is the Vicolo Fiuinicello, leading to the left
along a brook to Santi Nazzaro e Celso (Pl. H, 4), an originally
Gothic church rebuilt in the Renaissance style about 1500.
In the right transept, two 'Paintings on panel, John the Baptist, and
SS. Benedict, Nazarius, and Celsus, by Bart. Montagna. A Pietá and
St. Blaise with St. Juliana, in the sacristy, are by the same artist. In
the choir are frescoes by Farinato. In the Cappella di San Biagio (left
transept) is an altar-piece, Madonna and saints, by Bonsignori (1519), iu
afine oíd frame (accessories by Girol. dai Libri, 1527); in the altar-niche,
frescoes by Bart. Montagna (history of St. Blaise; much damaged); in
the dome, faded frescoes by Falconetto (1493).
Henee we proceed to the N., through the Via Muro Padri, to the
Via Giardino Giusti, No. 10 in which, to the right, is the entrance
to the Pal. Giusti and the *Giardino Giusti (Pl. G, H, 3, 4; ring at
a gate on the right in the court; 20-30 c. to the gate-keeper). This
beautiful park contains numerous cypresses, some of them 400-500
years oíd and 130 ft. in height. The loftily situated view-terrace
(ascent through the turret at the back of the garden) commands a
beautiful view of Verona, the distant Apennines, Monte Pizzocolo,
and the Brescian Alps (evening-light favourable).
A little to the N.E., in the wide Interrato dell' Acqua Morta, the
filled-in canal that till 1895 separated the island of the Adige from
Veronetta, lies Santa Maria in Órgano (Pl. G, 3), a very ancient
church, rebuilt by Sanmicheli in 1481, with unflnished facade of 1592.
Interior (if main portal is closed, try aide-door in the Via Santa Maria
in Órgano). In the nave are "Frescoes by Franc. Morone, representing
(right) Adam and Eve, the Flood, Abraham's Sacrifice, Joseph sold by his
Brethren, (left) Passage of the Red Sea, Moses receiving the Tables of the
Law, David and Goliath, Elijah in the Fiery Chariot. Third altar on the
left, Madonna and Child, with SS. Martin, Augustine, and two angelic
musicians, by Morone (1503); 4th altar on the left, Madonna with saints, by
Savoldo (1533). Chapel to the left of the choir, fresco of the Resurrection by
Dom. Brusasorci. The seats in front of the high-altar are embelliahed with
landacapea by Cavazzola and Brusasorci. Behind it is a carved ebony and
walnut Candelabrum by Fra Giovanni da Verona, who belonged to the mon¬
astery of thia church. 'Choir Stalls with intarsia (views of the town above
ornamentation at the sides and below), of!499, by the same master. Chapel'
on the right of the choir: Ascensión, Shower of manna, Passover frescoes
by Giolfino. In the right transept are an altar-piece, St. Francesca'Romana.