252 Route 41. VERONA. a. Right Bank of the Adige.
perora on their journeya to Rome. On the top floor of the tower are
some oíd Romaneaque wall-paintinga, and in the cloisters ia a small
museum of Christian antiquities (fee to the well-informed sacristán, 1¡t-í fr.).
To the N.W. of S. Zeno is the Porfa San Zeno (Pl. A, 1), erected
in 1540 by Sanmicheli.
We now return from the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele (p. 249) to the
N.E. to the Piazza Erbe by the narrow Via Nuova (Pl. D, E, 4, 3),
the chief thoroughfare of the city since 1391 (corso in the evening).
In the Via Scala, one of the S. side-streets of the Via Nuova, is the
church of Santa Maria dalla Scala (Pl. E, 3), with an early-Renaissance
portal and frescoes of the school of Stefano da Zevio (in the bell chamber,
to the right of the high-altar). — This street is prolonged by the Via
San Cosimo, at No. 8 in which (Márchese Fumanelli) is a good replica of
Seb. del Piombo's so-called 'Dorothea' at Berlín.
In the Via Cappello, through which the tramway runs S. from
the Piazza Erbe (Pl. E, 3), an oíd house (13th cent.; Nos. 19-25)
on the left, now belonging to the town, bears a marble tablet which
is said to indicate the house of Juliet's pareuts (CapuLetti ; p. 250).
The street then takes the ñame of Via San Sebastiano (Pl. E, 3, 4),
in which, adjoining the church of San Sebastiano (Pl. F, 4), is the
Biblioteca Comunale (open in winter 9-3 and 6-9, in summer 9-4,
on Sun. and holidays 9-12), founded in 1860, and containing
In the Via Lboni (Pl. F, 4), the prolongation of the same street,
on the left, immediately beyond No. 3, is the Arco de' Leoni, part
of a Román double gateway, coeval with the Porta de' Borsari
(p. 249), but of superior execution, bearing an inscription partially
preserved. Behind it are remains of a still older arch.
Near this is the Gothic church of San Fermo Maggiore (Pl. E,
F, 4), built at the beginning of the 14th cent, for the Benedictines
and afterwards transferred to the Franciscans. The interesting fabada
is enriched with brick and marble. On the left side of the facade
is the sarcophagus of Fracastoro (d. 1350), physician of Can Grande I.,
with ancient Veronese frescoes (lith cent.).
The Interior, entered by the left side-door (visitors knock), has no
aisles. Part of it is rnodernised. Fine oíd roof in larch-wood. Above
the main entrance ia a fresco of the 14th cent., the Crucifixión, in poly-
chrome frame. To the left is the monument of the Brenzoni, with sculp¬
tures by the Florentine Rosso (p. 247; 1420); above is a much damaged
fresco by Vittore Pisano, the Annunciation. — lst altar on the left, three
saints by Gianibattista del Moro. — Over the side-entrance, fresco of the
Crucifixión (14th cent.); in the chapel to the left, Altar-piece by Curólo
(1525), Madonna, St. Anna, and the Child in clouds, with four saints below.
— In an adjoining space, behind a railing,is the monument of the physician
Gir. della Torre, by Riccio (the bronze reliefs, now in the Louvre, are here
replaced by copies). — Chapel on the left of high-altar, St. Anthony with
four other saints, by Libérale du Verona. — 3rd altar on the right in the
nave, Trinity, Madonna in clouds, Tobías and the ángel, and a saint, by
Franc. Torbido. — Near the marble pulpit (1396) are frescoes by Martino
From tbe sacristy steps lead down to the Lower Church, an inter¬
esting Romanesque edifice (1030), adorned with frescoes.