of the Adige. VUKUNA. 41. Route. 251
San Bernardino (Pl. A, 3), of the 15th cent., formerly a mon-
astery-church. We enter from the E. angle, through the pretty
cloisters. Above the door to the left of the church is a fresco,
St. Bernardino, by Cavazzola (if the church-door be closed, ring in
the córner to the left).
Interior, lst chapel on the right: Frescoes of legendary subjects by
Giolfino. — 2nd altar on the right, Madonna and sainta by Bonsignori
(1485). __4th chapel on the right: Domen. Morone, ceiling-frescoes and
life of St. Anthony (restored). — 5th chapel: on the altar-wall, copies from
Cavazzola (in the Muaeum); above, Christ on the Croas and SS. John and
Mary, by Fr. Morone (1498); on the left, Christ parting from his mother by
Carolo, and three paintinga from the Passion by Giolfino. — At the end to
the right. is the entrance to the "Cappella Pellegrini, by Sanmicheli (1557,
restored 1793), with beautiful Renaissance decoration. — In the choir, to
the left, Madonna with sainta, by Benaglio. — Organ of 1481. On the
or»an-doors are SS. Bernardino and Francis, and (over the portal) SS.
Bonaventura and Lodovico, by Fr. Morone. — The Cloisters and one
of the chapéis contain frescoes by Giolfino (early works). — In the Re-
fectort of the monastery, formerly the library, frescoes by Dom. Morone,
accessible only from the street.
To the N. of this point lies *San Zeno Maggiore (Pl. A, 2; reached
hy the Vicolo Lungo San Bernardino or by following the embank-
ment on the Adige, with its flne views, to the N.W. of the Castel
Vecchio, p. 249), one of the flnest Romanesque churches in N. Italy,
of most noble proportions, restored since 1870. The interior of this
flat-roofed basilica, which dates from the llth cent., is supported
by altérnate columns and pillars. The nave in its present fonn was
begun in 1138; the choir dates from the 13th century.
The Portal, the columns of which rest on lions of red marble, ia
embellished with reliefs of Scriptural subjects by Nicolaus and Wiligelmus
(1139). Below, to the right, Theodoric, as a wild huntsman, is speeding
headlong to the devil. At the top of the door-posts are the twelve months.
The doora are covered with rude bronze reliefs from the Bible and the
life of St. Zeno, probably the work of Germán artists (ll-12th cent).
Interior. In the córner to the right, an ancient octagonal font; behind
it, a fresco of St. Zeno (14th cent.). The holy-water basin, by the lst column
on the right, rests on an inverted antique capital. Opposite is an ancient
porphyry vase, 28 ft. in circumference; beyond it, a fine Gothic crucifix.—
On the Choir Screen are marble statues of Christ and the Apostles (ca. 1200),
still retaining traces of colouring. On the wall below are ornaments and
fignres in coloured low relief. — To the left of the choir, freacoes of the
14th cent., under which are tracea of others of the 12th; to the right,
frescoes of the llth and 13th centuries. To the right of the steps to the
choir is an altar, lianked with columns of brown marble, resting on a lion
and a bull. To the right, above, is a painted marble figure of St. Zeno
(d. 380), a fisherman and afterwards Bishop of Verona, ascribed to the
9th century. Gothic choir-stalls. Behind the high-altar, to the right, ia an
admirable "Picture (covered) by Mantegna (1459): Madonna enthroned,
with angela and saints; on the left, SS. Peter, Paul, John, aDd Augustine;
on the right, SS. John the Baptist, Gregory, Lawrence, and Benedict, in
solemn attitude and full of individuality, with remarkably rich acces-
sories. (The predella picturea are copies.) — The spacious Crypt contains
the tasteful bronze tomb of St. Zeno, from designs by the brothers Spazzi
(1889), with seated figures of Religión, Faith, Hope, and Charity.
The lofty battlemented Tower on the N. side of the church, and the
Cloisters with elegant double columns, are the last relica of a convent
(suppresaed in 1770) repeatedly inhabited by the medisevi-l Germán em-