250 Route 41. VERONA. a. Right Bank
and known in Gorman lore as the abode of Dietrich (Theodoric) of
Bern, 105 ft. in height, 168 yds. long, and 134 yds. wide. Of the
outer wall with its four stories a fragment only now exists.
Around the Interior (entr. from the W. side by arcade No. V; adm. 1 fr.,
Sun. free; closed at sunset; guide superfluous) rise 43 tiers of steps of grey
or reddish-yellow limestone (often restored since the end of the 16th cent.,
and partly modern), on which 20,000 spectators could sit. An inscription
on the second story commemorates the visit of Napoleón I. in 1805, and the
restoration carried out by his order. Fine view from the highest steps.
Two doors at the ends of the longer diameter afforded access to the arena
itself (82 by 48 yds.).
On the E. side of the Arena, in the small Piazza Mura Gallieno,
a fragment of the Late-Roman City Wall has been preserved.
To tho S.W. of the Arena stands the Municipio (Pl. D, 4; formerly
a guard-house), begun in 1836, which bears several memorial tablets
relating to political events and to the inundation of 1882.
The wide Via Pallone, beginning behind the Municipio, leads to the
S.E., skirting the Medioeval City Wall of tbe Visconti period (now used
as barracks), to the Ponte Aleardi (Pl. E, 6; toll 2 c.) and the Cimitero (p. 254).
A little to the S. of the Via Pallone, on the Campo della Fiera (Pl.
D, E, 5,6; horae-market), which occupies the site of a Franciscan monastery,
is a chapel (1899; adm. 50 c.) containing a mediseval sarcophagus called
the Tomba di Giulietta, or íTomb of JulieV. The whole scene is prosaic
and unattractive. Shakeapeare'a play of 'Romeo and Juliet' is founded on
events which actually occurred at Verona. 'Eacalns, Prince of Verona' waa
Bartolomeo della Scala (d. 1304). The house of the Capuletti, Jnliet's
parenta, aee p. 252.
The W. side of the Piazza Vitt. Emanuele is occupied by the
Gran Guardia Vecchia (Pl. D, 4; now the corn-market), or oíd guard-
house, begun in 1609 by Dom. Curtoni. Adjacent are the Portoni,
an oíd gateway with a tower, probably another fragment of the city-
wall of Giov. Galeazzo Visconti.
In the courtyard of the Teatro Filarmónico, built by Franc. Galli
da Bibbiena (d. 1739), is the Museo Lapidario, or Museo Maffeiano
(Pl. C, 4), formed by Scipione Maffei (p. 247), containing Román,
Greek, and Oriental inscriptions, and ancient sculptures (under the
porticus of the theatre to the left, on the wall, 728. ^Esculapius
and Hygieia, an Attic votive relief, 4th cent. B.C). Visitors ring
at the iron gate beside the Portoni (adm. 50 c).
Passing through the Portoni, we reach the Corso Vitt. Ema¬
nuele (Pl. C, B, 4, 5), in which is a Statue of Michele Sanmicheli,
'grande nella architettura civile e religiosa, massimo nella militare'.
At the end of the Corso rises the handsome Porta Nuova (Pl. B, 6),
by Sanmicheli. Outside this gate are the Stazione Porta Nuova
(p. 243), the Canale Industríale, or Adige Canal, completed in 1888,
and several faetones.
From the Porta Nuova an avenue leads to the N.W. to the
Torta del Palio (formerly Porta Stuppa; Pl. A, 4), by Sanmicheli,
once admired by Goethe. Outside the gate is the moat of the fortress,
the bridge over which affords a flne view. — We now follow the
Stradone di Porta Palio and theVicolo San Bernardino on the leftto —