of the Adige. VERONA. 41. Route. 249
with its precious MSS., among which Niebuhr discovered the I11-
stitutes of Gaius. (Adm. in the forenoon.) — The adjacent Ponte
Garibaldi (Pl. E, 1; toll 2 c), a suspensión-bridge, leads to the
church of San Giorgio in Braida, in Veronetta (see p. 255).
We now follow the Lungádige Panvinio (Pi. E, D, 2), a broad
quay ascending along the right bank of the Adige, with a view of
the mountains of the Lago di Garda, and soon turn to the left, to
visit the church of Sant' Eufemia (Pl. E, 2, 3), a Gothic structure
of the 13th cent., with Madonnas by Moretto (lst altar on the left;
injured) and Dom. Brusasorci (3rd altar on the right). *Frescoes
(story of Tobías etc.), by Caroto, in the Cappella Spolverini, to the
right of the choir (injured).
A few paces to the S. of Sant' Eufemia is the Cobso Porta.
Bórsari, which begins at the Piazza Erbe and leads to the Porta
de' Borsari(Pl. D, 3), atown-gate, erected under Emp. Gallienus,
A. D. 265, in the poor later Román style.
To the W. this Corso is prolonged by the Corso Cavour (Pl. D,
C, 3), one of the chief streets of Verona, in which several handsome
palaces are situated. Immediately to the right (No. 10) is the Gothic
Palazzo Ponzoni (formerly Pal. de' Medici). Farther on, to the left,
in a small piazza, is the church of Santi Apostoli (Pl. D, 3), with
very ancient tower and Romanesque apse. In front of it stands a
marble statue of Aleardo Aleardi, the poet and patriot (1812-78). —
Also on the left (No. 19) is the handsome *Pal. Bevilacqua, by
Sanmicheli, now a technical institute. — Opposite is the small
chuTch of San Lorenzo (llth cent. ?), a Romanesque ediflce, with
round towers on the facade. The interior, restored in 1896-98, has
galleries supported alternately by pillars and columns. There are
remains of many oíd frescoes, and in the apse is an altar-piece by
Dom. Brusasorci(lb66). — Then, on the right, No. 38, Pal. Portalupi,
and No. 44, Pal. Canossa, also by Sanmicheli, with a flne pórtico
and court, but with an attica addéd in 1770.
The neighbouring Piazzetta di Castel Vecchio (Pl. C, 3) affords
a picturesque view of the imposing pinnacled Bridge oí the 14th
cent., which conneets the Castel Vecchio (Pl. C, 3), the castle of
Can Grande II. (14th cent.), now a barrack, with the Borgo Trento
on the left bank of the Adige (open to passengers during the day).
From the Castello to San Zeno, see p. 251. The Stradone San
Bernardino leads to the W. to San Bernardino (p. 250), while the
Corso is prolonged to the S.W. to the Porta del Palio (p. 250).
To the S. of the Corso, and connected with it by several streets,
lies the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele (Pl. D, 4) formerly Piazza Bra
or Braida (from 'pratum', meadow), with an equestrian Statue of
Victor Emmanuel II. On the N. side of the piazza is the Pal. Malfatti
(formerly Pal. Guastaverza), by Sanmicheli.
On the E. side of this piazza rises the famous Román *Amphi-
theatre (Arena; Pl. D, 4), erected undeT Diocletian about A. I). 290,