248 Route 41. VERONA. a. Right Bank
Draught of Fishes, the Crucifixión, and Christ preaching by the Lake of
Galilee (Lago di Garda in the background). — The left transept contains
frescoes of the 14th cent., and a picture by Libérale, Mary Magdalen in
clouds. — Above the 4th altar (from the entrance) in the left aisle, Descent
of the Holy Ghost by Giolfino (1418); above is the same subject 'al fresco'
by Michele da Verona. At each side are four statues of saints. Over the
2nd altar, Christ with SS. Erasmus and George, by Giolfino. Over the
lst altar, painted sculptures by Michele da Verona (about 1500).
In front of the church is a marble Statue of Paolo Veronese, hy
Torquato della Torre and R. Cristani, erected in 1888.
To the left of the church, over a gateway, is the marble sarco¬
phagus of Count Guglielmo da Castelbarco, the Scaligers' friend,
at whose expense the churches of Sant' Anastasia and San Fermo
were in great part built; and in the gateway are three others (14-
15th cent.). — The church of San Pietro Martire, formerly San
Giorgio Piccolo, contains a curious allegorical fresco by Giov. Maria
Falconetto: Madonna enthroned with kneeling Teutonic knights
(about 1515); key at the adjacent Collegio Provinciale. —We now
proceed to the right to the —
Cathedral (Duomo; Pl. F, 1, 2), a Romanesque structure of the
12th cent., the nave and the Gothic windows of the facade dating
from the 15th. Behind the columns and griffins of the handsome
portal are Roland and Oliver, the paladins of Charlemagne, in rough
relief, executed according to the inscription by Nicolaus (1135).
On the outside of the apse are pilasters with an architrave, in the
antique style. Beside the cathedral rises an unflnished campanile,
designed by Sanmicheli, resting upon an ancient basis.
The Interior consista of nave and aisles, with eight red marble
pillars. The walls adjoining and above the first three altars on the right
and left are adorned with decorative painting by Falconetto (about 1503).
Above the elegant rood-loft of marble, designed by Sanmicheli, is a bronze
crucifix by Giambattista da Verona. The Adoration of the Magi, over the
2nd altar to the right, is by Libérale da Verona, with wings by Giolfino.
At the end of the right aisle is the Tomb of St. Agatha, a Gothic mon¬
ument of 1353 enclosed in beautiful Renaissance frame-work (1508). In
the choir are frescoes from the life of the Virgin, executed by Torbido
from drawings by Giulio Romano. — Over the lst altar on the left, "Assunip-
tion by Titian, about 1525 (frame by Sansovino): 'striking for its masterly
combination of light and shade and harmonious colours with realistic
form and action' (C. <t C).
To the left of the choir a corridor leads to San Giovanni in
Fonte, the ancient Baptistery, of the 12th cent.; excellent Roman¬
esque reliefs on the font (Í2th cent.); to the right of the choir,
Madonna enthroned with two saints and donor, altar-piece by
Carolo (1613). — To the left of the facade (2nd door on the left)
are Romanesque Cloisters, the arches resting on double columns of
red marble. They contain an antique column and some ancient
mosaics (covered). — To the N.E. of the cathedral is the Vescovado
(Pl. F, 1), or bishop's residence, with a chapel containing three
paintings by Libérale da Verona, Madonna by Franc. Morone, and
Raising of Lazarus by Franc. Carota (1531). — The Palazzo dei
Canonici, to the N.W fNo. 191 contains the Biblioteca Capitolare