246 Route 41. VERONA. a. Right Bank
a. Quarters on the Right Bank of the Adige.
The *Piazza Ebbb (Pl. E, 3), the ancient forum, now the fruit
and vegetable market, is one of the most picturesque squares in Italy.
The Marble Column (1524) at the N. end bears the lion of St. Mark,
a modern copy of the ancient cognisance of the Republic of Venice.
Opposite is the Pal. Trezza (formerly Maffeí), built in the baroque
style in 1668, with a curious spiral staircase in the interior. The
Casa Mazzanti, at the córner to the right, originally the residence of
Alberto della Scala (d. 1301), is adorned with frescoes by Cavalli,
an imitator of Giulio Romano. The Fountain, dating from the time
of Berengarius I., is adorned with a statue of 'Verona', partly an¬
tique. On the houses opposite are frescoes by Libérale da Verona
(Coronation of the Virgin, Adaru and Eve) and Girolamo dai Libri
(Madonna and saints). In the centre of the Piazza is the Tribuna,
with its canopy borne by four columns, anciently the seat of judg¬
ment. The Casa dei Mercanti (1210), at the córner of Via Pelliciai,
recently restored, now contains the Chamber of Commerce. Oppo¬
site rises the Torre Cívica, or Tower of the Municipio, 273 ft. in
height, affording a flne view (ascent from the court of the Palazzo
della Ragione, see below, laborious; adm. 50 c.). — A short street
to the left of the latter leads to the handsomely paved —
*Piazza dei Signoe.1 (Pl. E, F, 3), on the W. side of which is
the oíd Palazzo de' Giureconsulti, founded in 1263, but rebuilt in
the 16th century. — On the S. side, immediately to the right of
the tower, is the so-called Palazzo della Ragione, the oíd Court of
Justice, founded in 1193, and later much altered; the court (Mercato
vecchio) contains a grand flight of steps of the beginning of the
15th century. — Adjoining the pinnacled tower is the Tribunale,
and on the E. side of the piazza is the Prefettura, formerly residences
of the Scaligers. The original architecture is seen to best advantage
in the courts , which have been restored. The portal of the Pre¬
fettura is by Sanmicheli. — At the N.E. córner of the piazza stands
*Palazzo del Consiglio, or Oíd Town Hall, usually called La
Loggia, one of the flnest buildings in N. Italy in the early-Renais¬
sance style, erected in 1476-93 , probably from designs by Fra
Giocondo, originally with statues surmounting the facade (restored
in 1873). By the door are two bronze statues by Girol. Campana,
representing the Annunciation. Over the door is the inscription,
placed here by the Venetians : 'Pro summa flde summus amor 1592'.
Above are statues of celebrated ancient Veronese : Cornelius Nepos,
Catullus, Vitruvius, the younger Pliny, and jEmilius Macer, the poet
and friend of Virgil. On the wall are busts of famous modern
Veronese. On the upper floor are several tastefully restored rooms
(custodian in the court).
The entrances to tbe Piazza dei Signori are spanned by archways.
Above the arch next the Loggia is a portrait of the physician and poet