240 Route 40. ARCO.
Visitors' Tax, 2 K. per pers. per week (3 days free); music tax for the
whole season 6 K. — Band at the Kur-Casino daily 11-1 Si 2-3.30; in spring
and autumn also 3-4.30.
English Church Service in the Protestant Church, near the railway.
Arco (300 ft.), an ancient town of 440P inhab., situated on the
right bank of the Sarca, forms a semicircle at the S. base of a
precipitous rock (930 ft.), which is crowned by the Castle of Arco
(views), destroyed by the French in 1703 during the War of the
Spanish Succession. Almost entirely shut in on the N., E., and
W. by lofty mountains, Arco is frequented as a winter-resort by
consumptive and nervous patients. The climate resembles that
of Gardone (p. 233), but Arco has a lower rainfall and is somewhat
less moist (relative moisture 72 per cent) and cooler in winter. The
Ora (p. 230) is sometimes troublesome, especially at the beginning
of spring. The vegetation is thoroughly southern in character
(p. 230); numerous olive-groves.
The most frequented resorts of the visitors are in the neigh-
bourhood of the two largest hotels and the new Salone Municipále,
and the Kurplatz, a little to the E. To the N. of the last are the
Collegiate Church (1603-18), in front of which a monument is to
be erected to Giov. Segantini (1868-99), the painter, a native of
Arco, and the oíd town-palace of the Counts of Arco, with faded
The magnolia avenue between the two chief hotels is coutinued
to the W., by a road passing numerous villas, to Chiarano (see below).
A side-road at the W. end of the avenue leads to the right to the
villa of the Archduke Frederick (adm. to the garden on application
to the steward).
Excursions. To the N. by sunny paths to the Casa Bianca, Vedilla
Maria, and tbe live-oaks (in all 3/t-l hr.; guide-posts). The Castle of Arco
(see above) is reached from the Kurplatz in less than 72 hr. (opened by a
boy; fee). — The romantic Viu alia Sega e Prabi, diverging to the left on
this side of the bridge, between the caatle-rock and the Sarca, traverses
the imposing remains of a huge landslip to (l hr.) Ceniga (inn), whence we
may return by a stony path through the Laghel Valley, passing the amall
Lake Laghel, which ia dry in summer (l3/4 hr.).
Pleasant walk to the W. past the Villa Hildebrand, a convalescent
home for Germán officers, to the hamlet of (3/4 M.) Chiarano, with the Villa
Angerer (rich Mediterranean flora in the garden) Thence we proceed
either by the road to the left, viá the convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie
to (3 M.) Varone (p. 238), or to the right to (3/t M.) Varignano and thence
ascend to the right by a rough path, affording beautiful views, to (174 hr.)
Tenno (p. 238). From Tenno we descend by Cologna to (40 min.) Varone,
and return across the plain to (3 M.) Arco.