234 Route 40. GARGNANO. Lago di Garda.
Asoents. Monte San Bartolomeo, 2 hrs., aee p. 232. — Mte. Boceólo
(1600 ft.; 172 hr.), viá Sopiane (p. 233). — Monte Lavino (2975 ft.; 27í-3 hrs.).
— From Tormini to the Madonna delle Nevé and the Selva Piaña, aee p. 22S.
— Monte Pizzocolo (5195 ft.; 5-6 hrs., with guide), commanding an exten¬
We next pass Fasano (P; hotels, see p. 232), 20 min. to the
N.E. of Gardone di Sotto, and the beautifully situated Villa
Zanardelli. — Maderno (P; Hót.-Pens. Lignet, pens. 6-7 fr.; Hót.
San Marco, R. 172-2, pens. 572-6 fr., both good; Pens. Villa della
Rose; Caffe Maderno; physician, Dr. Rosenbaum) lies at the base of
Mte. Pizzocolo (see above), on the delta of the little Toscolano. Until
1377 it was the capital of the Riviera. The Campanile behind the
parish-church is the relie of a castle destroyed by the French in
1797. The oíd church of Sant' Andrea has a Romanesque fa$ade
(12th cent.), but has been rebuilt since 1580. Fine lake-promenade.
Steamer to Peschiera, see p. 229.
Maderno is the station also for Toscolano (Cavallo Bianco; steam-
tramway to Brescia, p. 230). — The next station, Bogliaco (P; Gr.
Ilót. Bogliaco, with steam-heating and park, pens. from 8 fr., new),
with a large cháteau of Count Bettoni of Brescia, is not always
called at. — Gargnano (P; Hót. Gargnano, R. 2-3, pens. 6-8 fr.;
Cervo, R. 2-3, B. 1, pens. 7-8 fr., bothnearthe quay, plain but good),
an important-looking village (1200 inhab.) amidst lemon and olive
plantations, marks the N. limit of the Riviera. The former Francis-
can Monastery (13th cent.) possesses flne Gothic cloisters.
The mountains now become loftier, recalling the scenery of the
Norwegian fjords. Tignale (B) is the station for Piovere, Gardola,
and other mountain-villages not visible from the lake, which aTe
reached also by a mule-track from Gargnano. The steamer then
steers past the conspicuous Monte Castello (2555 ft.), with a view
of Monte Brione (p. 238) to the N., and reaches Campione (P), which
lies upon a narrow strip of level ground at the mouth of a brook.
The large cotton-spinnery (CotonifizioFéltrinelli) and the Fish Breed-
ing Establishment (piscicultura) may be mentioned.
A pleasant excursiou may be made henee to (2 hr3.) the Madonna di
Monte Castello (2265 ft.), on the S. slope of the mountain. Thence we may
descend viá Gardola (see above) to Tignale, or viá Piovere to Gargnano.
The qnaint village of Tremosine (1355 ft.), situated high above
the lake, is reached by a zigzag-path from the small-boat station.
In a bay farther on are tho white houses of Limone sul Garda
(P; Alb. del Gallo; Ristorante Belvedere), another lemon and olive
producing village. A few small 'torpedo-boats' (torpediniere) are
stationed here to prevent smuggling; the entire N. end of the lake
is illumined at night by their search-lights.
To the N. of Limone we cross the Austrian frontier and soon after
pass the gorge of the Val di Ledro (below, the Ponale Fall); high
above the lake is the Ponale Road(-p. 238), running along the vertical
face of the cliff.
Riva, see r? ?37