226 Route 39. LOVERE. Brescian Alps.
vegetation. In the middle of the lake lies an island 2 M. long,
containing the villages ofSiviano (trattoria) and Peschiera Maraglio,
a pilgrimage-church (Santuario della Madonna della Puriflcazione),
and a ruined castle (Castello degli Oldofredi), and culminating in
the Mont' Isola (1965 ft.). — On the E. bank, from Iseo to Pisogne
(see below; beyond Marone partly through tunnels), runs the high-
road from Brescia, commanding magniflcent views.
The Steameb from Sarnico usually steers flrst to Predore, the
ancient Praetorium, which yields excellent wine; then to the S.E.
back to Iseo (Hót. Leone d'Oro, R. 2, B. 1, pens. 8 fr., very fair), a
busy little town with walls and an oíd castle. Its industries are
dyeing and silk-spinning. — On the Capo Corno, near Tavernola
(W. bank), the next station, is the Pozzo Glaciale, a large 'glacier-
mill'. The next stations are Siviano (see above), Sulzano (inn; E.
bank), and Peschiera (see above; Alb. Democrazia).
The following stations on the E. bank are Sale-Marasino (Alb.
della Posta), then beyond the Loreto Islet, with the modern-Gothic
Castello Ricchieri, Marone (Alb. del Monte Guglielmo; Cremona),
at the W. ba3e of Monte Guglielmo (p. 227), and Vello. Opposite,
on the W. bank, lies Riva di Soltó, with olive-woods.
The last station on the E. bank is Pisogne (Alb. Tre Stelle; Alb.
della Posta), with iron industries, the best starting-point for an
ascent of Mte. Guglielmo. The Chiesa della Nevé is adorned with
frescoes by Romanino. Finally we pass the mouth of the Oglio and
approach Lovere, before reaching which a fine view is obtained to
the N. in clear weather of the snow-clad Adamello Group, with the
summit of the Adamello itself, the Pian di Nevé, and the Salarno
and Adame glaciers.
Lovere (*Hót. Lovere, with restaurant and garden, R. 2-3,
B. ll/4 fr.; Alb. Sant' Antonio, etc.; Caffe Nazionale), is a busy
little place with 3300 inhab., prettily situated at the N.W. end of
the lake. It is the seat of the Milesi Silk-spinning Faclory and of the
Stábilimento Metallurgico Gregorini, a large iron-work and cannon-
foundry on the road to Castro. — The handsome church of Santa
Mama in Valvendea, built in 1473, restored in 1547, 1751, and
1888, contains frescoes by Floriano Ferramola and Andrea da Ma-
nerbio (Cappella dello Sposalizio), an early Milanese altar-piece
(in the same chapel), an Annunciation by Ferramola (on the out-
side of the organ-shutters, dated 1518), SS. Jovita and Faustinus by
Romanino (inside of the shutters), and an Ascensión by Fr. Morone
(high-altar). The parish-church of San Giorgio, erected in 1655,
was enlarged in 1878. — The Palazzo Tadini, which now belongs
to the town, contains zoological and industrial-art collections, a few
sculptures (tomb-stone by Canova), and a collection of oíd pictures,
which was rearranged in 1902. Adm. at any hour; gratuity !/2 fr.
Jac. Bellini, * Madonna (restored; modern frame); Dom. Morone (?), Ma¬
donna; P. Bordone, Madonna enthroned with SS. Christopher and George
(retouched); Parmigianino, "Portrait (restored); Vine. Civerchio, Madonna