Ateneo Martinengo. BKJSSCIA. 38. Route. 223
altar to the right: *St. Apollonius blessing the Host, by Romanino.
Small chapel behind the pulpit: Pieta with SS. Jerome and
Dorothea, by Moretto. High-altar: Visitation, by Calisto Piazza
(1525). — Adjacent is the Porta Venezia (Pl. E, 3), near which is
a bronze statue of Arnold of Brescia (p. 219) by Odoardo Tabacchi
(1882). Tramway, see p. 219.
We now return by the Via Tosió and turning to the left by the
Via dell'Arsenale, reach the Piazza Moretto, with a bronze Statue of
Moretto (Pl. 18; D, 4), by Dom. Ghidoni (1898). On the E. side of
the square rises the Ateneo Martinengo (Pl. 3; D, 4), the property
of the town. On the groundfloor are some sculptures (including
Ganymede and two Reliefs, Day and Night, by Thorvaldsen and a
Bust of Eleonora d'Este by Canova), and relies of the rising of
1849, Garibaldi's travelling-carriage, etc., and on the first floor is
an important *Picture Gallery (rearranged in 1905), especially strong
in works by Moretto and Romanino. Entrance, Via Martinengo da
Barco; adm. as to the Museum of Antiquities (p. 221). Catalogue
in preparation; director, L. Cicogna.
Room I. Giov. Donato Montorfano (?), St. George and the dragón;
numerous frescoes. — Room II (main room). Frunc. Francia, Two Madonnas;
Girol. dai Libri, Miniature; Timoteo Vili, Angel's head; Raphael, *Ecce Homo
(painted in Florence, still under Umbrian influence; 1505); School of Raphael,
Madonna; Fra Bartolomeo, Holy Family (retouched); Lor. Lotto, -Adoration
of the Child; 67. B. Moroni, Two portraits; Jac. Tintoretto, Portrait;
Fr. Albani, Venus and Graces. By Moretto: Bearing of the Cross (colossal
work); Assumption; "Madonna in clouds, with angels, St. Francis, and
donora below (1542); Portrait; Annunciation (early work); Chriat at Emmaus;
Adoration of the Child; SS. Anthony of Padua and Nicholas; **Madonna
in clouda, with SS. Euphemia and Justina, and two canonized bishops
below (from Santa Eufemia); "St. Nicholas presenting school-children to
the Madonna (1539); Descent of the Holy Ghost. By Romanino: Adoration
of the Shepherds; "Christ at Emmaus and "Tbe Woman taken in adultery
(frescoes); Bearing of the Croas; Group of saints (damnged); Entombment.
— Room III. Calisto Piazza, Adoration of the Child (fresco; 1524); Civerchio,
St. Nicholas of Tolentino; Savoldo, Adoration of the Child; Sofonisba An-
guisciola, Portrait. — Room IV. At the exit, Clouet, surnamed Janet, Por¬
trait of Henri III. of France. — Room V. Modern Italian paintings (19th
cent.). — The following rooms contain valuable drawings and engravings
by oíd masters.
Adjoining the Ateneo Martinengo is Sant' Afra (Pl. D, 4), an
ancient church entirely rebuilt in 1580 by Bagnadore.
High-altar-piece: Tintoretto, Ascensión, in which tbe blue of the sky
is the predominant colour. Over the S. door: Titian (or Giul. Campi!),
Christ and the Woman taken in adultery (covered). Over the second
altar on the N. side: P. Veronese, Martyrdom of St. Afra.
The church of Sant' Alessandro (Pl. 7; C, 4), in the Via Moretto.
contains (lst altar to the right) an Annunciation (covered) by Paolo da
Brescia (?), and a Pieta by Civerchio (2nd altar to the right).
Near the N.W. angle of the Piazza del Comune (p. 220) begins
the Corso delle Mercanzie, which, with its prolongation, the Corso
Garibaldi, leads to the Porto Milano (p. 225). At the end of the flrst-