Museum of Antiquities. BRESCIA. 38. Route. 221
choir, an *Assumption by Moretto (1526); at the sides, a Presentation in
the Temple and a Visitation, by Romanino.
Opposite the E. side of the Duomo Nuovo is the entrance to
the Biblioteca Qaeriniana (Pl. 4, C, 3; fee i/2 &.), of 40,000 vols.,
bequeathed to the town in 1747 by Cardinal Querini. Several
curiosities are preserved in a sepárate cabinet. (Admission 9-4,
in winter 9-3, on Wed., Sun., and high festivals 12-3 ; vacation
Book of the Gospela of the 9th cent., with gold letters on purple
vellum; Koran in 12 vols., with miniatures and gilding; an oíd Book of
the Gospela, and a Harmony of the Gospela by Eusebius (lOth cent.),
with miniatures; 14th cent. MS. of Dante on parchment, with miniatures;
a Petrarch of 1470 with various illustrations ('Petrarca figúralo') and
written annotations; a Dante with numerous wood-cuts, printed at Brescia
in 1487, etc.
The Broletto (Pl. C, 2, 3), a massive building, adjoining the
cathedral on the N., dates from 1187 and 1222 but was not entirely
completed until the 15-17th centuries. Anciently (until 1421) the
town-hall, it now contains the courts of justice and the prefecture.
The campanile on the S. side, the Torre del Popólo, belongs to the
original edifice, which is now being restored in the initial style.
The Gothic brick fafade of the former church of Sant' Agostino
is incorporated with the "W. side of the Broletto, past which the
Vicolo Sant' Agostino ascends to the Piazza Tito Speri (Pl. C, 2), at
the entrance to the Castello (p. 225). This piazza, now embellished
with a monument to Tito Speri (p. 219; b. 1827, executed at Mantua
in 1853), was one of the most obstinately contested points in 1849.
The Contrada Broletto and the Via Santa Giulia run henee to
the E. to the Piazza del Museo (Pl. D, 2, 3), occupying the site of
the Román Forum, oí which the Porticus on the E. side is a relie.
At the N. end of the piazza is the entrance to the —
*Museum of Antiquities (Museo Cívico Eta Romana or Museo
Patrio; Pl. D, 2; week-days 10-4, Nov. to Feb. 10-3, fee 1 fr.,
which admits also to the Mediaeval Museum; free on Sun. in
summer, 1-4). The museum oceupies an ancient Corinthian Temple
of Hercules, excavated in 1822, which, according to inscriptions,
was erected by Vespasian in A.D. 72. The dilapidated, but ex-
ceedingly picturesque temple stands on a lofty substructure, with
a projecting colonnade of ten columns and four pillars to which the
steps ascend, and has three cellae of modérate depth.
The pavement of the Principal Hall has been restored from the
original remains. By the back-wall, as in the other chambers, are placed
the bases of the temple images. Among the Román inscriptions. and
sculptures is an archaic head; also two tombs of the flint period. The
cabinets contain objeets found in Román tombs in the newly discovered
cemetery near the station and elsewhere; Román coins. — The Room on
the Right contains fragments of a colossal temple-figure, ancient glass,
vases, coins, bronzes, etc. — In the Room on the Left are architectural
fragments, gilded bronze busts, a gilded bronze statuette, and above all
a ""Statue of Victory, excavated in 1826, a bronze figure about 672 ft. in
height, with a silver-plated diadem round her head, a (restored) shield,