218 Route 37. SULFKK1JN0.
steam-tramway to Iseo (R. 39). 40y2 M. Rovato (Rail. Restaurant),
junction of the Bergamo-Brescia line descrihed on p. 217.
51 M. Brescia, see p. 219.
From Brescia to Parma , 57 M., railway in 23/i-S3ft hrs. (fares 10 fr.
70, 7 fr. 50, 4 fr. 85 c). — The chief intermedíate stations are Viadana
(1472 M.; p. 2S3), Piadena (3272 M.; p. 209), junction of the Cremona and
Mantua line, and (411/2 M.) Casalmaggiore (p. 209), connected with Cremona
by steam-tramway. — 57 M. Parma, see p. 364.
From Brescia to Cremona, see p. 209; to Bergamo and Lecco, see R. 36;
to Vobarno viá Rezzato, see p. 228. — Steam-tramways from Brescia, see
pp. 225, 227, 22S.
56 M. Rezzato (p. 228). The Chiese is crossed. — Beyond (65 M.)
Lonato the train intersects the W. edge of the belt of moraines,
that endoses the S. end of the Lago di Garda from the Chiese to the
valley of the Adige, forming several concentric semicircles, inter-
rupted by steep, isolated heights.
A long viaduct now carries the line to (68Y2 M.) Desenzano
(p. 230). Admirable *Survey in clear weather to the left of the blue
Lago di Garda and the península of Sirmione (p. 231).
72 M. San Martino della Battaglia. A monument on the right
commemorates the battle of Solferino, where the French and Pied¬
montese under Emp. Napoleón III. and King Victor Emmanuel II.
defeated the Austrians under Emp. Francis Joseph, 24th June, 1859.
The village of Solferino (675 ft.) lies on the S.W. margin of the hills
bordering the Lago di Garda on the S., about 772 M. to the S. of Desenzano
and about 5 M. to the S.W. of San Martino. It formed the centre of the
Austrian position, and was taken about 1 p.m. by the French guarda. The
heights of San Martino to the N.E. were held by General Benedek, who
repulsed the attacks of the Piedmontese until nightfall, and only abandoned
his position on receiving the order to retreat. The left wing of the
Austrian army, aftacked by the French under General Niel, also maintained
its position until late in the afternoon. — Hurried travellers contení them-
seiveswith a visit to the Tower of San Martino (adm. 50, on Sun. and
holidays 25 c), 3/t M. to the S. of the railway-station of that ñame, and 6 M.
to the S. of Sirmione. This structure, erected to commemorate the battle
of Solferino and converted into a military museum in 1893, stands upon
a platform 65 ft. in width and rises to a height, of 243 ft. We first enter
a circular chamber, in the centre of which is a statue by Ant. Dal Zotto,
representing Victor Emmanuel II. as the commander of the Italian troops
at Solferino. On the walls are scenes from the life of the King, and on
the vaulting are eight allegorical figures representing the chief cities of
Italy, all painted in wax-colours by Vitt. Bressanin. The two niches contain
busts of the eight Italian generáis who fell in the wars of independence.
From the round chamber an easy staircase ascends to seven rooms, one
above another, each containing a batlle-painting and reminiscences of one
of the seven campaigns of the wars. From the uppermost room we emerge
on the platform of the tower, which not only commands the battlefield
(chief points indicated by arrows) but also affords an extensive «View of
the Lago di Garda and the chain of the Alps. Near tbe tower are a post¬
office, a modest trattoria, and a Charnel House, surrounded by cypressea.
77 M. Peschiera sul Garda (p. 236).
79!/2 M. Castelnuovo di Verona. — 84 M. Sommacampagna,
5 M. to the N.E. of Custozza (p. 257). — 911/2 M. Verona Porta
Nuova. The Adige is crossed; flne view of the town to the left.
93 M. Verona Porta Vescovo, see p. 243. — To Venice, see R. 43.