TREVIGLIO. 37. Route. 217
church and an oíd castle, the junction for Seregno (see p. 167). —
We cross the Brembo (p. 210).
20'/2 M. Bergamo (p. 209).
Near (23'/2 M.) Seríate the Serio (p. 210) is crossed. 28 M.
Gorlago (p. 216). — 3iy2 M. Grumello del Monte. The Oglio
(p. 225) is next crossed. — 34 M. Palazzolo (branch to Paratico,
p. 225); pretty view of the village, to the left. — 39 M. Coccaglio, with
the convent of Mont' Orfano on a height; 40i/2 M. Rovato (p. 218).
51 Va M. Brescia, see p. 219.
37. From Milán to Verona viá Brescia.
93 M. Railwat in 3-63/4 hra. (fares 17 fr. 40, 12 fr. 20, 7 fr. 85 c,
express, 10 fr. 15, 13 fr. 40, 8 fr. 70 c). The 'train de luxe' (Cannes-
Vienna) mentioned at p. 19 may be used in winter (272 hrs.). — Railway
Stations in Verona, see p. 243.
Milán, see p. 128. — 12 M. Melzo. At (16 M.) Cassano a" Adda
we cross the blue Adda.
About 472 M. to the N. of Cassano ia the little town of Vaprio d'Adda,
terminus of the light railway from Milán viá Villa Fornaci. In the Villa
Melzi is a fresco of the Madonna of the school of Leonardo da Vinci.
20 M. Treviglio (410 ft.; Regina d'Inghilterra; Rail. Restaurant,
déj. 2^21 D. 3!/2 fr.), a town of 5900 inhab., is the junction of a
line to Bergamo (p. 209). The church of San Martino has an altar-
piece by Butinone and Zenale.
From Treviglio to Cremona, 40 M., railway in IV4-2V2 hrs. (fares
7 fr. 55, 5 fr. 30, 3 fr. 40 c._). — 372 M. Caravaggio (365 ft.), a town of
7700 inhab., with the pilgrimage-church of the Madonna di Caravaggio,
was the birthplace of the painter Miehael Angelo Amerighi da Caravaggio
(1569-1609). The small church of 5a» Bernardo is richly embellished with
frescoes in the style of Luini. Steam-tramway to Monza (p. 166). —
1372 M. Crema (240 ft.; Alb. Pozzo), an industrial town (8000 inhab.) and
episcopal residence, with an ancient castle. The Cathedral has a fine
Romanesque facade, and contains a painting (SS. Sebastian, Christopher,
and Rochus) by Vine. Civerchio (2nd altar on the left). — About 3k M.
from the town stands the circular church of "Santa María della Croce,
with effective subsidiary buildings in brick, built about 1490 by Giov.
Batt. Battaggio of Lodi, under the influence of Bramante. The interior,
octagonal in form, is adorned with paintings by Campi. Steam-tramway
to Soncino and Lodi (Milán) see p. 358. — 24 M. Soresina; 30 M. Casalbultano.
- 3372 M. Olmenela (p. 209). — 40 M. Cremona, see p. 206.
We cross the Serio (p. 210). — 28 M. Romano di Lombardia,
junction for the light railway from Bergamo to Soncino (p. 213).
The little town of Soncino (275 ft.), situated on the Oglio (p. 225),
10',2 M. to the S.E. of Romano, is the terminus of the abové-mentioned
steam-tramway from Milán viá Lodi and Crema (p. 358), and is connected
by a similar tramway with Brescia (p. 225). It contains a handsome Castello,
built in 1469-75 by Ben. Ferrini for Galeazzo Maria Sforza. The Palazzo
Viola, with a tasteful terracotta facade, and the church of Santa Maria
delle Grazie (founded in 1492), with frescoes by Giul. and Bern. Campi,
are also interesting. — The Palazzo Barbi, at Torre Pallavicina, on the
Oglio, 3 M. to the N., has a charmingly painted Interior, due to the Campi.
Beyond (32 M.) Calcio the Oglio is crossed. — 36J/2 M. Chiari,
an oíd and indnstrions town of 4200 inhab., starting-point of the