214 Route 35. ZOGNO. Bergamasque Alps.
village is Clenezzo (960 ft.), on the right bank, with an oíd castle
(lOth cent.) and commanded by the Monte Ubione, once also crowned
with a castle. Cióse by the Imagna is spanned by a bridge dating
from the early middle ages.
The road runs high above the Brembo and passes below the
ancient village of Botta (on the right); on the river below are the
Bergamo electric-power works.—Beyond (8l/%tX..) Sedrina (1052 ft.),
the Gothic church of which (ca. 1400) possesses an altar-piece by
Lor. Lotto, the road enters a picturesque gorge, at the other end
of which is the (10 M.) Ponti di Sedrina, a double bridge crossing
the Brembo and its affluent the Brembilta.
A road ascends the Breinbilla valley to the small sulpbur-baths of
Brembillu, ita chief village, then crosses tbe ridge known as the Foppa
Calda and leads viá Gerosa to Taleggio (2625 ft.), the largest village in
the Valle Tuleggio, which is noted for the number of its castles. Peghera,
another village, has an altar-piece by Palma Vecchio.
Our road follows the right bank of the Brembo to (ÍO1^ M.)
Zogno (1095 ft.; inn), the quaint capital of the lower Val Brembana,
situated in a fertile valley. The high-lying parish church of San
Lorenzo contains a number of art-treasures. Zogno is the best
starting-point for the ascent of the Monte Canto Alto (3760 ft.),
which commands a wide view of the plains of Lombardy.
The Val Serina is visited from Zogno (diligence, see p. 213). The
road, quitting the Val Brembana at Ambria (see below), leads through a
gorge and past the little Lago d'Algua, recently formed by a landslide, to
Serina (2690 ft ; Posta; Giardinetto), at the foot of the Monte Alien (6625 ft.).
Serina was the birthplace of Palma Vecchio (p 291), a large altar-piece
by whom is in the parish-church. Through the Val Antea to San Giovanni
Bianco, see below. — The road goes on to the N.E. viá Valpianu to the
little mineral bath of Oltre il Colle (3445 ft.; Albergo Alpino), situated in
a beautiful upland vale at the S.E. base of the Monte Arera (8240 ft.), on
which are galena-mines.
Beyond (ll'^M.) Ambria (see above), and oppositePiazzo Basso,
the main road reaches (13V2M.) SanPellegrino (ca. 1145 ft.; Grand
Hotel, pens. 10-14 fr.; Alb. delle Terme, pens. 10 fr.; Alb. Salaroli,
pens. 7-10 fr.; Alb. Milano, pens. 9 fr. incl. wine; Alb. della Posta;
Alb. del Papa; Alb.-Ristor. Cavour, R. from l1^ fr.; Caffe Isacchi), a
mineral-bath frequented by Italians, with a large bathing-establish-
mont and three thermal saline springs (80° 6 Fahr.), prescribed for
gout and for affections of the stomach and liver. The chief season
is in July and August. The valley, noted for its equable climate
in summer and its flne pine-woods, offers many pleasant walks. On
the Brembo is a handsome avenue of chestnut-trees.
The next village, San Giovanni Bianco (1310 ft.; Hotel Val
Brembana; Trattoria Luiselli), at the confluence of the Enna, which
descends from the Valle Taleggio (see above), is the terminus of
the new light railway (p. 213). Electric zinc foundry.
Immediately before San Giovanni Bianco a hranch-road diverges to
the left from the main road, leading to the high-lying village of Fuipiuno,
birthplace of Cariani, the painter (ca. 1485-1541). — Another road leads
to tbe E. through the industrial Vulle Antea (large zinc-mines) viá Antea