210 Route 34. BERGAMO. Santo Spirito.
lower town with the upper town; the lower station is in the Strada Vitt.
Emanuele, 1fíM. from the Piazza Vitt, Emanuele. Fare 15 c
Photograpiis at Taramelli's, Via Torquato Tasao.
Bergamo (820-1200 ft.), the ancient Bergomum, a Milanese
town from 1264 to 1428 but after that Venetian until 1797, now a
provincial capital and episcopal see, with 25,400 inhab., lies atthe
junction of the Val Brembana, watered by the Brembo, and the
Val Seriana, named after the rapid Serio (another affluent of the
Adda). This is one of the busiest of the smaller trading and nianu-
facturing towns in Italy, although its once famous fair (Fiera di
Sant' Alessandro, middle of Angust to middle of September) has
lost its importance. The town consists of two distinct parts, the
Citta Alta, picturesquely situated on hills and strongly fortified by
the Venetians in 1561-88, and the much larger new quarters in the
plain (Borgo San Leonardo, Borgo Pignoio, Borgo San Tommaso),
with numerous cotton, silk, and other faetones and an interesting
piazza (Fiera; Pl. C, D, 4).
From the railway-station (Pl. D, E, 6) the broad Viale della
Stazione leads to the Piazza Vittobio Emanuele (Pl. C, P, 4, 5),
with a statue of Victor Emmanuel II. The Via Borfuro leads henee
to the W. to Sant' Alessandro in Colonna (Pl. B, C, 5), contain¬
ing a fine *Assumption by Romanino (left transept). The church
is named from the partly antique column in front of it, at which
St. Alexander, tutelary saint of Bergamo, is said to have suffered
To the N.E., beyond the Teatro Gaetano Donizetti (Pl. D, 4),
is the Piazza Donizetti, with a monument by Franc Jerace (1897)
to Gaetano Donizetti (1798-1848), who was a native of Bergamo;
the composeT, seated upon an ancient Greek exedra, receives the
inspiration of a Muse. — In the Via Torquato Tasso, on the N
side of the Piazza, is the church of San Bartolomeo (Pl. D, 4).
The large *Altar-piece behind the high-altar is one of the chief
works of Lor. Lotto, *Madonna surrounded by ten saints (1516).
Fine choir-stalls by Fra Damiano (1520). — Farther on is —
Santo Spirito (Pl. E, 3), the flne aisleless interior of which is
in the early-Renaissance style, due partly to Pietro Isabello.
Interior. Left, lst chapel: Previtali, John the Baptist, surrounded by
SS. Bartholomew, Nicholas of Bari, Joseph, and Dominic, the painter's
masterpiece (1515). Left, second altar, large altar-piece by Borgognone
(1508): Descent of the Holy Ghost, God the Father, Annunciation; on tho
left, The Baptist and St. Jerome; on the right, SS. Augustine and Francis.
Right, 4th Chapel: Lotto, "Madonna and four saints; above, angels in a
glory (1521); 5th chapel, Previtali, Madonna and four saints (1525), Resur¬
rection (finished by Ag. da Caversegno).
Farther on, in the Via di Pignoio, are San Bernardino in Pignoio
(Pl. E, 3), containing a high-altar-piece by Lotto, *Holy Family
with SS. Anthony Abbas, Joachim, John the Baptist, and Bernard
(1521), and -Sant' Alessandro della Croce (Pl. D, 2; Moroni, Ma¬
donna; in the sacristy, Lotto, Trinity; Moroni, portrait; Previtali,