206 Route 33. CREMONA. From Milán
At (431/2 M.) Pontecurone we cross the impetuous Curone (dry
in summer). Country fertile.
49 M. Tortona (395 ft.; Hót. Nazionale; Alb. Universo) the
ancient Dertona, a town of 11,300 inhab., on the Scrivia, was
destroyed in 1155 by Frederick Barbarossa. The Cathedral dates
from 1584. The ancient church of Santa Maria Canali (9th cent.)
was altered in the 13th century. The chapel of the Episcopal Palace
contains a winged picture by Macrino d'Alba (1499). In the Museo
Romano is an ancient sarcophagus. Fine view from the castle.
From Tortona a branch-railway runs to (51/2 M.) Castelnuovo Scrivia,
and a steam-tramway to Sale (p. 53).
From Tortona to Turin viá Alessandria, see RR. 49, 11 c.
60 M. Novi, and thence to (94 M.) Genoa, see R. 11c.
33. From Milán to Mantua viá Cremona.
901/2 M. Railwat in 3-574 hrs. (fares 16 fr. 95, 11 fr. 90, 7 fr. 65 c); to
Cremona, 51i/2 M., in 21/4-31/4 hrs. (fares 9 fr. 65, 6 fr. 75, 4 fr. 35 c). Car¬
riages are changed at Codogno.
From Milán to (35i/2 M.) Codogno, see p. 205. Our train diverges
here from the main line to the E. — Near (3972 M.) Pizzighettone,
where Francis I. was confined after the battle of Pavia (p. 203), we
cross the Adda (p. 180), which is here navigable. — 49 M. Cava
5172 M. Cremona. — The Railway Station is outside the Porta Milano
(Pl. C, 1). — Hotels. "Albergo Cappello ed Italia (Pl. a; E, 3), Corso
Oampi, R. 21/2-3, omn. 3/4 fr.; Roma, Via Giuseppe Mazzini (Pl. F, 3), R.
2-21/2 fr.; Pavone, Via Beccherie Vecchie, plainer. — Cafés. Soresini,
Gambrinus, both in the Piazza Roma.
Post & Telegraph Office (Pl. E, F, 3), Piazza Roma. — Cahs. Per drive
in the town 1/2, per 72 hr. 1, each addit. '/a hr. 1/2 fr.; from the station to
the town 1 fr., at night 1 fr. 20 c. Luggage free. — Photogruphs at Betri's,
Cremona (155 ft.), the capital of a province and an episcopal
see, with 30,200 inhab., lies in a fertile plain on the left bank of
the Po, and carries on considerable silk-manufactures.
The original town was wrested by the Romans from the Gallic Ceno-
mani and colonised by them at the beginning of the second Punic war
(B.C. 218). It became one of the most flourishing towns in N. Italy, but
in 70 A.D., during the civil wars, it waa reduced to ruins by the Emp.
Vespasian, who, however, afterwards restored it. 'Bellis externis intacta
civilibus infelix' is the summary of its history by Tacitus. The Goths aDd
Lombarda, especially King Agilulf, as well as the subsequent conflicts
between Guelphs and Ghibellines, did great damage to the town. Cremona
espoused the cause of Frederick Barbarossa against Milán and Crema, and
subsequently carne into the possession of the Visconti and of Francesco
Sforza (p. 127), after which it belonged to Milán. On lst Feb., 1702, Prince
Eugene surprised the French marshal Villeroi here and took him prisoner.
In 1799 the Austrians defeated the French here.
The manufacturers of the far-famed Violins and Violas of Cremona
were Andrea Amati (ca. 1510-80) and Niccolb Amati (1696-1684), Antonio
Stradivari (1644-1728), and Giuseppe Ant. Guarneri (1683-1745).
Painting. Boccaccio Boccaccino (ca. 1460-1518), who for a time seenis
to have belonged to the circle of Giov. Bellini (p. 291), in Venice, is gen¬
erally regarded as the founder of the Cremona school of painting. The