204 Route 32. PAVÍA. From Milán
In the N. part of the Corso Vitt. Emanuele, to the right, stands
the Univebsity (Pl. B, C, 2, 3), founded by Galeazzo II. Visconti
in 1361 on the site of a school of law, which had existed here since
the llth century. The present imposing building, begun in 1490
under Lodovico il Moro, was greatly extended about 1770 by Gius.
Piermarini. The handsome quadrangles are embellished with mem¬
orial tablets, busts, and monuments of celebrated professors and
students. In the second court are a statue of Volta, by Ant. Tan-
tardini (1878), and memorial relicfs of professors. In the library
(ca. 200,000 vols.) are preserved some of the ashes of Columbus
(comp. p. 90), who is said to have been a student at Pavia.
The Corso next leads in a N. direction, past the Piazza d'Italia,
to the Piazza Castello, and to the oíd Castle (Pl. C, 2), erected by
Galeazzo II. about 1360, now used as a barrack, and containing a
handsome court of the l4th cent. (adm. by permission of the offlcer
The Via Luitprando leads to the N.W. of the Piazza Castello to
the oíd monastic church of San Pieteo in Ciel d'Oro (Pl. B, 2).
This building, originally Lombardic but rebuilt about 1100 in the
Lombard-Romanesque style, was restored in 1875-99 by Ang. Sa-
voldi. The exterior of the choir should be noticed.
Interior. In the high choir is the suinptuous *Arca di Sant' Agostino,
adorned with 95 statuettes and 50 reliefs, executed by Bonino da Campione
or some other of the Campionesi after 1362. On the sarcophagus is the
recumbent figure of St. Augustine, whose relies were brought from Sar¬
dinia to Pavia in 723 under King Luitprand. — The choir-apse has modern
frescoes by Loverini and Bernardi. — The double-aisled crypt rests upon
The Via Pietro Carpanelli leads to the S.E. of the Piazza
Castello to the Gothic church of San Francesco (Pl. C, 2, 3), of the
13th cent., with a modernized interior. The rich brick facade was
restored in 1897. — In the vicinity stands the Collegio Ghislieri
(Pl. C, 3), founded in 1569 by Pius V. (Ghislieri), a colossal
bronze statue of whom has been erected in the piazza in front.
In the Via Defendente Sacchi, a little to the S., is the church
of Santa Maria di Canepanova (Pl. 6 ; C, 3), a small dome-covered
structure designed by Bramante (1492) but not completed until
1564, with a passage round the top. — Three ancient Brick Towers
rise in the vicinity.
The Via Roma, to the W. of the university, terminates in the
Piazza del Carmine, with the Gothic church of Santa Maria del
Carmine (Pl. B, 3), a brick edifl.ee of flne proportions, flanked with
chapéis, and dating from 1390. The sacristy contains a fountain
At the S. end of the Piazza Petrarca, to the right, is the Palazzo
Malaspina, now the Museo Cívico (Pl. 15; B, 2); open daily (fee;
MS. catalogue). On the groundfloor are national relies and mem-
orials. On the flrst floor are reliefs by Amadeo, a collection of
abont 450 palntines. some flne engravings and niello-prints (e.g.