to Genoa. PAVÍA. 32. Route. 203
Pavia. In the middle ages it was the faithful ally of the Germán emperors,
until it was handed over in 1360, hy Emp. Charles IV., to Galeazzo II. Vis¬
conti (p. 127), as imperial vicar. — The battle of Pavia, at which Francis I.
of France was defeated and taken prisoner by Lannoy, general of Charles V.,
took place in the park of the castle on 24th Feb., 1525.
Leaving the railway-station, we enter the Cosso Cavot/b (Pl.
A, B, 3) through the Porta Cavour (in a wall to the right is the
statue of a Román magistrate), and following the Via Bossolaro to
the right reach the Piazza del Duomo.
The Cathedbal (Pl. B, 3), begun in the early-Renaissance
style by Cristoforo Rocchi in 1487 on the site of two churches of
the Lombard period and continued with the co-operation of Amadeo
and Bramante, but never completed, is a vast 'central' structure
(comp. p. lxiv) with four arms. The fafade (1898) and the dome
(300 ft. high) are modern.
In the Interior are altar-pieces by Gianpietrino (1521; in the original
frame), Bern. Gatti (Madonna with the rosary, 1531), Giov. Batt. Crespi,
Duniele Crespi, and Fed. Faruffini (1854). In the right transept is the hand¬
some marble altar (by Tomm. Orsolino, 1653) of St. Syrus (2nd cent.), who,
according to the legend, was first bishop of Pavia.
Adjoining the church to the left rises the massive Torre Maggiore
(256 ft. high), a tower mentioned as early as 1330; the top story
was begun in 1583 by Pellegrino Tibaldi.
We may now proceed to the Conso Vittosio Emanuele (Pl. B,
1-4), a street intersecting the town in a straight direction from N.
to S., from the Porta di Milano to the Porta Ticinese, and leading to
the Covered Bridge (14th cent ; a pleasant promenade with pictur¬
esque view) over the Ticino. A chapel stands on the bridge, half-
The church of-San Teodoro (Pl. B, 4), at the end of the street
of that ñame running to the W. off the Corso Vittorio Emanuele,
contains frescoes in the transept by Bramantino, representing
scenes from the lives of SS. Theodore and Agnes (1510-11).
San Michele Maggiobb (Pl. C, 4), to which the third side-
street to the right leads (coming from the bridge), a basilica of the
Lombard period, dates in its present Lombard-Romanesque form
from the latter part of the llth century. The facade is adorned
with numerous reliéis in sandstone, in ribbon-like stripes, and
a curious gabled gallery.
The vaulted Interior, restored in 1860-75, is supported by eight
pillars, from which rise double round arches. Over the centre of the
transept rises an octagonal dome. The pillars of the transepts bear traces
of ancient frescoes. The tomb of Mart. Salimbéne, in the crypt, has a
rehef attributed to Giov. Ant. Amadeo (1491).
Near the middle of the Corso Vitt. Emanuele is the Mércalo
Coperto (Pl. B, 3), built by Balossi in 1881-82. Behind it, in the
Piazza del Popólo, is a monument, by Enrico Cassi (1900), to the
Cairoli Family of Pavia: Adelaide Cairoli entrnsts a banner to her
Ave sons, illustrious in the war of independence; in front, to the
left, is Benedetto Cairoli (1825-89), the statesman.