Lago Maggiore. ARONA. 31. Route. 201
on an open meadow. A finger-post points to the right to Levo (p. 200).
Another footpath diverges to the right, 25 min. from the Ristorante Zanini,
before we reach Gignese, and leads to (1/4 hr.) the "Hót. Bellevue Alpino
(2756 ft.; pens. 7-8i/2 fr.; closed Dec.-March), with a view of Pallanza, Intra,
and Baveno. Thence we proceed across the Alpe del Mottarone (p. 200) to
(l3/4 hr.) tbe "Hotel Mottarone (4678 ft.; R. 3, B. I1/2, déj. 3, pens. with
wine 7-8V21T.; closed lst Nov.-20th April), kept by the brothers Gugliel-
inina, 10 min. below the bare summit of the —
"Monte Mottarone (4892 ft.), the culminating point of the Margozzolo
Qroup. The view from the top of the 'Rigi of Northern Italy' embraces
tue Alps, from the Col di Tenda and Monte Viso on the W., to the Ortler
and Adamello on the E. (panorama by Bossoli, in the hotel). The most
conspicuous feature is the Mte. Rosa group to the W. (especially fiue
by morning-light); to the right of it appear the Cima di Jazzi, Strahl-
horn, Kjmpfischhorn, Allalinhorn, Alphubel, Misehabel (Taschhorn, Dom,
Nadelhorn), Pizzo Bottarello, Portjengrat, Bietschhorn, Mte. Leone, Jung-
frau, Helsenhorn, Fiescherhorner; then more distant, to the E. of the
peaks of Mte. Zeda, the Rheinwald Mountains, Bernina, Mte. Disgrazia, Mte.
Legnone, Mte. Generoso, Mte. Grigna. At our feet lie seven different lakes,
the Lago d'Orta, Lago di Mergozzo, Lago Maggiore, Lago di Biandronno,
Lago di Várese, Lago di Monate, and Lago di Comabbio; farther to the
right stretch the extensive plains of Lombardy and Piedmont, in the
centre of which risea the cathedral of Milán. The Ticino and the Sesia
meander like silver threads through the plains.
On the W. side a path, rather steep at places (guide advisable), de¬
scends direct to (2 hrs.) Omegna (rail, stat., see p. 69). Travellers bound
for Orta (4i/4 hrs.) soon reach a distinct bridle-path on the S. side of the
hill (guide unnecessary), which after 1 hr. passes above the Alpe Cortano
(to the right) and in 40 min. more in front of the Madonna di Luciago. In
40 min. more they reach Chéggino (2120 ft.), whence another 1/4 hr. brings
them to Armeno (1715 ft.; Alb. al Mottarone), on the highroad. They
follow the latter, and in 12 min. reach a point where the road forks,
the left branch leading to Miasino, while the right, crosaing the railway
to Gravellona (station of Orta to the left), runs viá Carcegna and the Villa
Crespi (p. 69) to Orta (li/4 hr. from Armeno). To reach the Albergo
Belvedere (p. 69), we turn to the right, 2 min. beyond the Villa Crespi.
Beyond Stresa the banks of the Lago Maggiore become flatter.
— The next place on the W. bank is Belgirate (R), surrounded by
the Villas Fontana, dal Pozzo, Minerbi, and others. •— Then follow
Lesa (R) and Meina (R; Hotel Meina), with the magniflcent Villa
Farragiana and other beautiful country-residenees of the Italian
nobility. The statue of San Carlo Borromeo (p. 202) is visible to
the S., and a glimpse of the Madonna del Monte (p. 186), far to the
E., is obtained.
The steamer steers obliquely across the lake to Angera(R), on
the E. bank, with an oíd cháteau of the Visconti, since 1439 the
property cf the Counts Borromeo, birthplace of the historian Pietro
Martire d'Anghiera (1457-1526), author of the 'Decades Oceanice'.
Arona (R.). — The new Railway Station ("Restaurant) is near the
pier. — Hotels. Alb. San Gottardo & Pensión Suisse, R. 2-4, B. 174,
D. 4 fr.; Albergo Reale d'Italia e Posta, R. 3-4, B. I1/2, déj. 3, D. 4,
pens. 7-9, omn. i/2 fr.; both on the quav. — Cutfé-Ristorunte del Giar¬
dino, near the Albergo Reale; Café du Lac, near "the quay; Caffi della
Arona (740 ft.), an ancient town with 4600 inhab., lies on the
W. bank, about 3 M. from its S. extremity. In the principal church
of Santa María the chapel of the Borromean family, to the right of