196 Route 31. INTRA. Lago Maggiore.
Michele (to the left as the steamer approaches) is now occupied by
a pqttery belonging to the Societa Cerámica Italiana. Above it is
the Villa Pulle (fine views), which contains a few relies of 1859.
Behind Laveno rises the green Sasso di Ferro (3485 ft.), the most
beautiful mountain on the lake, easily ascended in 2!/2-3 hra. (red way-
marks), and commanding a magnificent view of the lake, the plain as far
as Milán, and the Monte Rosa chain. — About 6 M. to the N.E. of Laveno,
behind the Sasso di Ferro, lies the hamlet of Varara (2380 ft.), whence
we may ascend the "Monte Nudo (4052 ft.; 172 hr.), perhaps the flnest
view-point in the district, commanding an imposing survey of the Lago
Maggiore, tbe Lago di Lugano, the Lago di Várese, and the Valaisian Alps.
— Interesting excursión to the convent of Santa Catarina del Sasso,
174 hr. from Laveno, high above the lake. We may go either by land
(carr. 5 fr.) viá Cerro, to which a road diverges to the right beyond the
bridge over tbe Boesio and a little short of the Mediterranean station
(p. 195), and thence by a picturesque footpath; or direct by boat (3 fr.)
from Laveno. Imbedded in the vaulted roof of the church is a rock,
which fell upon it in the 17th century. View of the Borromean Islands
and the snow mountains to the W.
From Laveno to the Borromean Islands and Pallanza (pp. 199, 197), boat
with three rowers, 10-12 fr.; to Isola Bella I1/2 hr.; thence to Isola Madre,
20 min., to Pallanza 20 min. more.
Railway (Ferrovie Nord) from Laveno viá Várese to Como, see p. 170;
to Milán viá Várese and Saronno, see R. 29; to Porto Ceresio (Lake of Lu¬
gano) viá Várese, see RR. 29, 28. State Railway to Milán viá Gallarate,
see p. 185; to Bellinzona and Genoa, see R. 30.
The steamboat now approaches the W. bank again, after dis-
closing a view of the N. neighbours of Monte Rosa: flrst the Strahl-
horn, then the Mischabel and Simplón group.
Intra (685 ft.; *Hótel de la Ville et Poste, R. 2i/2-3i/2, B. li/4 fr.;
Hotel Intra; Alb. Agnello; Caffe Monti), a flourishing town (6900
inhab.) with numerous monuments, is situated on alluvial soil,
between the Torrente San Giovanni and the Torrente San Bernardino.
These two mountain-streams afford the water-power íot numerous
cotton-mills, silk-mills, hat-faetones, foundries, etc., chiefly belong¬
ing to Swiss proprietors. In the vicinity are several flne villas. The
*Villa Franzosini (Count Barbo), '/3M. to the N.E. (adm. on week-
days; gratuity), and the Villa Ada of M. Ceriani, 3/4 M. farther on,
aTe both noteworthy for their luxuriant gardens.
Pleasant walk from Intra to the N. by a good road (omn.; carr. 16fr., with
2 or 3 horses, 25 fr.; shaded sbort.-cuts'for walkers), viá Arizzano (1540 ft.)
to (3¡y4 M.) Bée (1950 ft.; "Alb. BU; Angla Bar Restaurant), with a fine
view of Lago Maggiore, and to (3 M.) Premeno (2650 ft.; * Hót.-Pens. Premeno,
pens. 8 fr.; Alb.-Ristor. Vittoria; Ristor. Tornico, with rooms), a summer-
resort of the Milanese. Above it (10 min.) is the Tornico, a platform laid
out in honour of Garibaldi, with a good spring. About l/t hr. higher is
the Bellavista, commanding an admirable view of the Alps, the lake, and
the beautiful and fertile Val Intragna to the W.
To the S. of Intra the Punta Castagnola, with its wealth of
luxuriant vegetation, stretches far into the lake. As soon as we
double the cape and enter the wide W. bay of the lake, we obtain
a *View of the Borromean Islands (p. 199) : near the S. bank is the
Isola Bella, to the W. of it, the Isola dei Pescatori, in front, the
Isola Madre. The little Isola San Giovanni (no adm.), cióse to the