Lago Maggiore. LAVENO. 31. Route. 195
21/2-3, D. 31/2-4, pena. 7-8 fr., omn. 60 c ; Albergo Vittoria, R. 21/2, B
li/4, déj. 21/2, D. 4, pens. 7-8, omn. 3/4 fr.; Hot. Ancora et Bellevue,
R. 2-3, B. li/4, déj. 3, D. 4 fr., incl. wine, these three near the steam-
boat-pier; Hót. Métropole, R. from l'/¡¡ fr.; Alb. Garibaldi, plain but
good. — Near the Stazione Internazionale: Alb. Milano, R. 2, B. 1, déj. 2,
D. 3, pens. 7 fr., incl. wine. — Caffé Clerici, next the Hotel de la Poste.
Luino (690 ft.), a pleasant and busy town with 3800 inhab., is
situated a little to the N. of the junction of the Margorabbia with
the Tresa (p. 184). The Statue of Garibaldi, near the pier, com-
memorates his brave but futile attempt to continué the contest here
with his devoted guerilla band after the conclusión of the armistice
between Piedmont and Austria on Aug. 15th, 1848. The church of
San Pietro, in the S.W. of the town, contains injured frescoes by
Bernardino Luini (ca. 1470- ca. 1532), said to have been a native of
the place. Among the numerous tasteful villas in the vicinity is
the Palazzo Crivelli, to the N., surrounded by pines.
Pleasant walk to Maccugno (p. 194). — At the mouth of the Tresa,
3/4 M. to the S.W., lies Germignuga, with large cotton and silk factories.
Electric light railway viá Cunardo to Betlole (Várese), see p. 187.
On the W. bank rise two grotesque-looking castles (Castelli di
Cannero), half in ruins, the property of Count Borromeo. In the
15th cent, they harboured the Ave brothers Mazzarda, notorious
brigands, the terror of the district. — Cannero (*Alb. d'Italia, pens.
5-6 fr.; Hót.-Pens. Nizza; Alb. Reale, all three on the lake; Alb.
San Remo, in the village) is beautifully situated on the sunny S.
slopes of Monte Carza, in the midst of vineyards and orchards. On
the edge of the Tock, 1/2 ür- t0 tne W., is the mountain-vülage of
Oggiogno (Ristor. del Belvedere, with pensión), affording flne views.
— We next pass the little village of Barbe, with its slender cam-
panile, then Oggebbio (Ristor. della Posta, with pens.), built in
terraces on the mountain slopes, amid chestnut woods and rich
vegetation, both on the W. bank, and Porto Valtravaglia (R.;
Osteria Antica) on the E. In a wooded bay to the S.W. of the last
lies Calde, with the ancient tower of the Castello di Calde on an
eminence. At Ghiffa (Hotel Ghiffa, pens. 6 fr., very fair; Albergo
Céntrale), on the W. bank, the green Sasso di Ferro (p. 196)
appears to the S., and in clear weather a magniflcent *View is ob¬
tained of the Monte Rosa and Simplón groups in the distance.
Then, to theE., —
Laveno (R.; Posta, at the E. end of the town, no view, R. 2'/2,
B.li/4, dej. or D. 2i/2-3 fr.; Moro, near the quay, R. 2 fr., both
Italian, very fair), situated at the foot of the Sasso di Ferro, on a
bay at the mouth of the Boesio, formerly a fortified harbour for the
Austrian gun-boats. Laveno (1800 inhab.) is adapted for a prolonged
stay on account of its beautiful situation and ampie railway and
steamer facilities. The quay is cióse to the station of the Ferrovie
Nord, while that ot the Rete Mediterránea lies i/2 M. farther on in
the same direction (omn. 30 c). A monument near the quay com-
memorates the Garibaldians who fell in 1859. The site of Fort San