192 Route 31. LOCARNO. hago Maggiore.
from 61/2 fr-, Italian, very fair, these three in the Piazza Grande; Albergo
Bertini (Pl. g), with restaurant (Milanese cuisine), R. from I1/2 fr.
Pensions (usually in open situations with gardens-, some closed in
summer). P. Villa Erica, in an elevated aituation on the road to the Ma¬
donna del Sasso, from 5 fr.; P. Villa Muralto, behind the Gr. Hót. Locarno,
5-6 fr.; P. Quisisana, on the road to Orselina; P. Villa Liberta, 5-7 fr.;
P. Helvetia, 5-7 fr.; P. Villa Myosotis, 5-6 fr., both near the Protestant
church; P. Villa Noris, 5-7 fr.; P. Villa Camelia; all these are at Muralto;
P. Graf, P. Villa Rossa, 5-672 fr., P. Villu Belforte, these three at Miuusio.
Restaurant. Ristorante San Gotlardo (with beds), behind the H6 . du
Lac, Italian. — Cafés. C. Locarno, C. Svizzero, both in the Piazza Grande.
Post & Telegraph Office, Piazza Grande; branch-office near the station.
Money Changers: Banca Svizzera Americana, Banca Crédito Ticinese,
both in the Piazza Grande.
Baths. Stábilimento Rimoldi, near the gas-works, with trout-breeding.
— Rowing Boats, 1/2 hr., 1 fr., 1 hr. li/2Ír., each additional hr. 1 fr.
Cable-Railway to the Madonna del Sasso (see below), starting every
1/4 hr. from the lower station, in the street leading to the railway-station,
halfway between it and the pier, and stopping at the church; the terminus
lies 7 min. above the church on the road to Orselina (p. 193). Fares, up
75 or 50, down 50 or 35 c, return 1 fr. or 70 c.
Motor-Ómnibus thrice daily viá Pallanza (p. 197; 2 hrs., 4 fr.) to the
stations of Pallanza-Fondo Toce (p. 5; 21/2 hrs., 3 fr. 60 c) and Gravellona
(p. 69; 3 fr. SO c). — Electric Light Railwat ('Maggia Valley Railway')
to (1772 M.) Bignasco (opened in 1906).
Climate. Owing to its aheltered and sunny poaition on the S. slopes
of the lofty and uninterrupted ridge of the Poncione di Trosa (6120 ft.),
Locarno has of late years become a frequented health-resort, especially
for Germán and Swiss visitors. The quarter chiefly aelected for this
purpose, with most of the hotels and fine gardens with sub-tropical vege-
tation, ia Muralto, situated immediately beside the lake, to the E. of the
Ramogna. — Mean winter-temperature 37° Fahr.; annual rainfall, 75.5 inches.
Locarno (680 ft.; pop. 3600), suitable for a prolonged stay, is
situated on the N. shore of the lake, at the mouth of the Maggia,
the deposits of which have formed a considerable delta. In the
middle ages Locarno belonged to the bishops of Como and after¬
wards to Milán. It has been Swiss (Cantón Ticino) since 1513,
but the character of the architecture, scenery, and population is
Italian. The expulsión of the Protestants in 1553 arrested the devel¬
opment of the town.
From the pier we may proceed to the S. E. to the Lake Prome¬
nade (Quai di Locarno lungo Lago), on the E. shore of the Maggia
promontory (views), or to the W. to the Piazza Grande, or market-
place, in which are the former Government Buildings, the Town Hall,
and, every other Thurs, a large market. — At the S.W. end of the
town is the oíd Castello oí the Visconti, besieged in vain by 10,000
Swiss in 1502, partly demolished in 1518, and now occupied as a
law-court and prison. Cióse by are the remains of the oíd harbour
and the primary school, with the Municipal Museum.
At Muralto (1700 inhab.) is the oíd parish-chnrch of San Vittore
(rebuilt in the 12th cent.), with an ancient crypt. On the tower is
a large relief, probably representing St. Victor on horseback.
A Cable Railwat (aee above, opened in 1906) ascends from Locarno
to the pilgrimage-church of "Madonna del Sasso (1165 ft,), on a wooded
eminence above the town, founded in 1569. The ascent for pedestrians
(1/2 hr.) leads frnm the Piazza Grande by the Via delle Monache and then