18b Route 28.
Várese (1250 ft.) is a thriving town with 7700 inhab. and silk,
paper, furniture, and other mannfactories. Noted market every
Monday. In summer the charming environs attract a number of
Milanese families. The busiest street is the Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
Adjacent, in the small Piazza San Vittore, is the church of San
Vittore, rebuilt in 1580-1615 after a design by Pellegrino Tibaldi,
with a facade by L. Pollack (1795). Fine view from the handsome
campanile (1617-1773), 236 ft. in height. Adjoining, in the small
Piazza del Battistero, is an ancient Baptistery. — In the Via Luigi
Sacco, to the left, is the Municipio, formerly named La Corte, built
for Duke Francis III. of Modena in 1775 and now containing a
collection of prehistoric and Román antiquities (incl. objects dis-
covered in the Román cemeteTy at Ligurno). The Giardino Pub¬
blico, formerly the palace-garden, is laid out in the oíd Italian style;
fine view of the Lake of Várese and the W. Alps, with Monte Rosa,
from the top of the wooded ridge.
Among the villas may be mentioned: Villa Litta, on the road to Biume
Superiore; Villa Ponli, to the N.E., on the road to Biume Inferiore; then,
near the latter village. Villa Litta Modignani, which still bears traces of
a skirmish fought here in 1859 between Garibaldi and the Austrians.
Walks. To the S.E. to (2i/4M.) Bizzozero (1240 ft,), by the Milán road
which commands beautiful views of the spurs of the Alps as far as the
Lake of Como, of the S. end of the Lago Maggiore, and of the Monte Rosa
group From Bizzozero we may descend, partly through wood, via Lozza
(1075 ft.) to (3 M.) Castiglione (p. 1S7) in the Val d'Olona. — To the S. to
(l3/4 M.) Sant' Albino and Gazzada (p. 185). — To the S.W. to Casbeno (p. 188)
and Schieranna, on the Lago di Várese (785 ft.), and thence either by boat to
the (1 hr.) Isola Virginiu (restaurant), with the small Museo Ponti (relies of
lake-dwellings), or along the N. bank of the lake to Calcínate, Oltrona, Vol-
torre (where there is an oíd monastery with interesting Romanesque
cloisters), and f77a M.) Gavirate (p. 188). — To the Colle Campiglia (148o ft.),
17» M to the W., on the road to Masnago and Laveno, commanding a (me
view; thence vía Masnago and Casciago (1510 ft,; where the Villa Castel¬
barco affords a fine "View of the uve lakes and of Mte Rosa) to Luvmale,
whence a beautiful view is obtained of the Lake of Várese and the small
adjacent Luke of Biandronno (790 ft.), and also of the farther distant lakes
of Monate (880 ft.) and Comabbio (p. 185). A little farther on are the rail.
atationa of Barusso and Gavirate (p. 18S).
The most interesting excursión, however, is that to the "Madonna del
Monte (2885 ft,), a resort of pilgrims, 2'A hrs. to the N.W. The road leads
viá Bettole (di Várese), Sant' Ambrogio (1510 ft.) and Fogliaro to the hamlet
of Oronco, near the Prima Cappella (tramway, see p. 185; one-horse carr.
there and back 8-10 fr.). About 150 yds. beyond the tramway-terminus is
the Albergo del Riposo, with a pretty garden (view). A broad, steep, and
shadeless paved path (horse or mulé 2, ox-cart 4 fr.) ascends henee to
(Ihr.) the Pilgrimage Church, passing 14 chapéis, adorned with 17th cent.
frescoes and groups in painted stucco illustrating the mysteries of tbe
rosary, and, lastly, a statue ofMoses. The church, situated on an abrupt
rocky summit, is a structure of the 16-17th cent., with an ancient crypt.
In the vestibule is a 13th cent, relief of the Madonna; in the dome traces
of frescoes of about 1500. Adjacent are the oíd monastery (founded in
1475) and the Albergo Camponovo. The view henee ia celebrated; the small
lakes of Comabbio, Biandronno, and Monate, that of Várese, two arms of
the Lago Maggiore, part of the Lake of Como, and the fruitful plain as
far as Milán are visible. — A far more comprehensive view, including the
glacier-world also, is obtained (best by morning - light) from the (1 hr.)
Monte delle Tre Croci (ca. 3600 ft.) and from the (l'A hr.) "Monte Campo