TIRANO. 26. Route. 181
of the Val del Bitto di Alvaredo, through which a bridle-path leads to the
Val Brembana (p. 215). In the vicinity is the generating-atation of the
railway. — 14 M. Ardenno-Masino, on the right bank of the Adda, at the
mouth of the Val Masino (see Baedeker's Switzerland). — We cross the Adda
to.(t972 M.) San-Pietro- Berbenno (to B-anzi in the Val Brembana, see
p. 215). — Farther on the train skirts the bilí of Sassella, noted for its
wine and crowned with a church.
25'/2 M. Sondrio (1140 ft.; "Hót. de lu Poste, with restaurant and garden,
R. 272-5, B. ÍV2, pens. 7-10, omn. 1/2 fr.; Alb. dellu Ferroviu, opposite the
station, with garden, well spoken of; Alb Maddalena; Ristor. Marino, with
bedrooms, very fair; omn. between the station and the town 72 fr-), the
capital of the Val Tellina, with 4100 inhab., situated on the brawling
Malero, produces excellent wine. Owing to its mild climate, Sondrio is
much frequented as a 'transition-station' in spring aDd autumn. The oíd
castle of the bailiffs is now a barrack; and the former nunnery is now
prívate property. — To the Val Malenco and ascent of the Monte della
Disgrazia, aee Baedeker's Switzerland.
The railway to Tirano proceeds viá (28'/2 M.) Tresivio. About Í1/2 M.
to the N. of (30'/2 M.) Ponte is the villnge of that ñame, with a Madonna
in fresco, by Luini, over tbeW. door of the church. — Beyond (331/2 M.)
San Giacomo, on the mountain-ridge (views) to the left, lies the small and
ancient town of Teglio (2860 ft.; Alb. Combolo), with a ruined castle, the
handsome Renaissance Palazzo Berta (16th cent.), and the church of San
Lorenzo, with freacoea by Ferma Stella of Caravaggio (1528). Teglio gives
its ñame to the valley (Val Teglino). At (36 M.) Tresenda (1236 ft. ; Alb.
Ambrosini, modérate) the road over the Passo d'Aprica diverges to the
right (p. 227; from Tresenda to the Val Seriana, see pp. 216, 215).
411/2 M. Tirano (1410 ft.; "Hót. Tirano, at the station, with steam-heat¬
ing and garden, R. from 21/2, B. 174, pens. from 9, omn. 1/2 fr.; Albergo
della Posta; Alb. Primavera, R. 1 fr., unpretending, etc.), a small town of
3i00 inhab., exposed to damage from tbe floods of the Adda. It contains
oíd m;-.nsions of the Visconti, Pallavicini. and Salís famiiies. — About
1 M. to the N.W. of Tirano is Madonna di Tirano (^Albergo San Michele,
R. 3, B. 1 fr.), a small village with a large and handsome pilgrimage-church,
built about 1505 by Tomm. Rodari and others. The elaborately carved
aereen dates from the 18th century. — Henee to Poschiavo, and over the
Berninu Pass to Pontresina and Samaden, in the Upper Engadine, see Baedeker's
Switzerland. The Swiss frontier lies only about 3/4 M. to the N.W. of
Madonna di Tirano.
The High Road to Bormio ascends along the vine-clad slopes to Sernio
(2083 ft.). To the N. rises the precipitous Monte Masuccio (9240 ft.), a land-
slip from which in 1807 blocked up the narrow channel of the Adda, and
converted the valley as far as Tovo into a vast lake. At (6 M.) Muzzo the
road crosses to the right bank of the Adda, and beyond Grosolto (1970 ft.;
Alb. Pini) it crosses the Rousco, which here iasues from the Vul Grosina
(see Baedeker's Eastern Alps). To the left, at the mouth of the latter, is
the imposing ruined castle of Venosta. Beyond Grosio the road recrosses
to the left bank. — 6 M. —
12 M. Bolladore (2790 ft.; Posta or Angelo, R. ll/t-2y2 fr., very fair; Hotel
des Alpes, well spoken of). On the mountain-slope to the N. rises the church
of Sóndalo. The valley contracta; the southern vegetation disappears;
far below rushes the grey glacier-water of the Adda. 13'/2 M. Mondadizza,
with a curious oíd church. At (15 M.) Le Prese (3115 ft ; inn) we again croSs
the Adda. We then enter the defile of Serra di Morignone, about 372 M.
in length, which separates the Val Tellina from the región of Bormio.
In 1859 the Ponte del Diavolo was the scene of an engagement between
Austrians and Garibaldians. At the end of the pass, in the green Valle
di Sotlo, lie the hamlets of Morignone and (farther on) Sant' Antonio.
Beyond (18'/2 M.) Ceppina we reach the level green valley (Piano) of
Bormio, enclosed by lofty mountains, the lower slopes of which are clothed
with pinea, and the upper in part with snow. At Santa Lucia (3840 ft.) we