180 Route 26. GRAVEDONA.
Medici in 1525-32, 'the Castellan
of Musso', who from this spot
ruled over the entire Lake of
Dongo (P), a large village in a
Gravedona (P; Hót. d'Italie;
Hót. Victoria), with 1200 inhab.,
is situated at the month of the
gorge of the Liro. The handsome
Palazzo del Pero with four towers,
at the upper end, was built in
1586 by Pellegrino Tibaldi for
the Milanese Cardinal Tolomeo
Gallio. Adjoining the venerable
church of San Vincenzo, contain¬
ing two Christian inscriptions of
the 5th cent., rises íhe Baptistery
of Santa Maria del Tiglio, an in¬
teresting building of the 12th
cent., with campanile.
A bridle - path leads to the W.
through the Val di Gravedona, over
the Passo San Jorio (6420 ft.), and
down through the Val Marobbia to
(10hrs.) Bellinzona (p. 8). Provisions
and guide necessary (no inn en route).
Domaso (P) possesses several
handsome villas. —Finally Gera
From Cólico to Chiavenna, and
and its spur, the Monte Legnon-
cino (5625 ft.).
"Monte Legnone (8565 ft.), the
highest mountain of Lombardy, may
be ascended henee in 7 hrs. (with
guide; not difficult and very interest¬
ing). Bridle-path to (11/2 hr.) Sueglio
(2580 ft.; Osteria Bretagna, plain but
good) on the slope of Mte. Legnon-
cino, and thence (red way-marks)
viá Arlesso to the (2 hrs ) Rifugio
Róccoli Loria of the Italian Alpine
Club (4800 ft.; good accommodation),
on the saddle between Legnone and
Legnoncino, with a fine view; thence
to the (2 hrs.) Capanna Legnone
(7010 ft.; no beds) and the (li/4 hr.)
summit, with magniflcent view. —
The ascent on the N. side, from
Delebio (see below), is easier. A
bridle-path leads through the Val
della Lesina to the (4 hrs.) Alp Cap-
pello (4993 ft.), and thence across the
Bocchetta di Legnone to the (3-3V2hrs.)
Corenno (Plinio), with a ruined
castle; Dorio (R.); Olgiasca. —
Piona (R.), on the bay named
Laghetto di Piona.
Cólico (P & R), comp. p. 18.
over the Splügen to Coire, see R. 4.
From Cólico to the Val Tellina and Bormio.
From Cólico to Tirano, 4172 M., electric railwav (continuation of the
Lecco and Cólico line, p. 171), in 2-2i/2 hrs. (fares 7 fr. 80, 5 fr. 50, 3 fr. 55 c).
From Tirano to Bormio, 251/2 M., diligence twice daily in 5hra. (4 fr. 80 c).
— Return-ticketa (valid for a mouth) from Milán to Tirano, 28 fr. 95,
22 fr. 35, 16 ir. 90 c; to Bormio, 43 fr. 60, 37 fr., 31 fr. 55 c.
The Val Tellina, which ia watered by the Adda and traversed by a
railway and a road, is one of the main longitudinal valleys in the Alps,
separating the central chain from the Bergamasque Alps (p. 213). It be-
longed to the Grisons down to 1797, then to Austria, and since 1859 has
been united to Italy. The inundations of the river often cause lasting
damage by scattering débris from its broad gravelly channel and make
the lower part of the valley marshy and unhealthy. An aromatic red wine
is yielded by the vines on the slopes of the valley.
The Railway to Sondrio runs to the E. from Cólico to (41/2 M.) Delebio,
on the Lesina fascent of Mte. Legnone, see above). — 8 M. Cosio-Valtellino-
Traona. — 10 M. Morbegno (850 ft.; Ancora; Betlini), with 3600 inhab., has
a church of the 17th cent, with a few good pictures. It lies at the mouth