of Como. BELLANO. 26. Route. 179
Bellagio, and of the three arms
o f the lake (apply to the gardener;
fee 1 fr.). The garden - saloon
contains a relief by Thorvaldsen
and a group in marble by Argenti.
—Adj acent are the Villa Massimo
d'Azeglio and the VillaGarovaglio.
From the Villa Vigoni a good
footpath leads viá th'e villages of
Plesio (1965 ft.) and Breglia (2465 ft.)
to (Í1/2 hr.) the church of Madonna
della Breglia, commanding an exten¬
sive view. From Breglia we may
descend by a steep path to Acquaseria
A new *Road, mostly in shade
in the afternoon, leads to the
N.E. from Menaggio, skirting the
(20 min.) quiet bay of Nobiallo,
the station of the Como 'torpedo
boats' (p. 234), and then travers-
ing Uve tunnels in the yellowish-
brown cliff, the Sasso Rancio
('orange-rock'), to (40 min.)
Acquaseria (see below). TheRus-
sians under Bellegarde marched
by this route in 1799 along the
oíd dangerous footpath over the
rock, but suffered heavy losses.
Acquaseria (P; Alb. Milano,
on the road, plain but good;
Caffe-Ristorante Gabbani, at the
pier, unpretending), with a hat
factory, is the chief village in the
commune of Sant' Abbondio.
Rezzonico (B) has a restored
castle of the 13th century.
Cremia (P), with the handsome
church of San Michele (altar-
piece, *St. Miehael, by Paolo Ve¬
ronese). The oíd church of San
Vito contains a fine Madonna and
angels by Borgognone.
Then Pianello (P).
On rocks rising precipitously
above Musso (B) is situated the
ruined castle of Rocca di Musso,
the residence of Giov. Giac. de'
The -Monte Grigna Settentrionale
(7905 ft.) is a very fine point. From
Varenna a bridle-path leads on the
right bank of the Esino viá Perledo to
(272 hrs.) Esino (2995 ft.; Alb. Monte
Codeno, inexpensive), prettily situat¬
ed. Thence (guide desirable, 7 fr.)
to the Alp Cainallo l'/2, Alp Monco-
deno ll¡2, Capanna Monza (ca. 6235 ft.)
l/2 hr., and to the top (Capanna Grigna
Vetta of the Ital. Alpine Club, inn)
in 2 hrs. more (the last part rather
trying). Superb view of the whole
Alpine chain from the Mte. Viso
to the Ortler (the Mte. Rosa group
particularly fine), and of the plains
of Lombardy to the distant Apen¬
nines. We may descend to the W.
(steep) to the club - but Capanna
Releccio (5625 ft.) in tbe Val Meria,
andto Mundello(p. 178), orto the E. to
Pusluro in the Val Sassina (see below).
From Regoledo (R), on the road
between Varenna and Bellano,
a cable-railway (940 yds. long)
runs in summer (return - fare
I1/4 fr.) to the Grand Hotel Rego¬
ledo (1425 ft.; with lift and
hydropathic establishment, pens.
Bellano (P & R; Hótel-Restau-
rant Tommaso Grossi, Alb. Porta,
both on the lake) has 2300 inhab.
and considerable faetones. Bythe
pieT is a monument to Tom. Grossi
(1790-1853), the poet, who was
born at Bellano. A street leads
henee to the (8 min.) station
(p. 171). Behind Bellano is the
Orrido di Bellano, a picturesque
rocky gorge in which the Pioverna
forms two waterfalls (adm. !/2 fr.).
A narrow road leads through the
Val Sassinu, which opens at Bellano,
viá Taceno (1663 ft.; near it, the
little mineral bath of Tartuvalle) to
Cortenova (1578 ft.) and thence via
Introbio (1920 ft.; in the vicinity,
the fine waterfall of the Troggia) to
Lecco (p. 170).
Dervio (B & R), at the mouth
of the Varrone, is situated at the
base of the Monte Legnone