172 Route 25. ERBA.
amid vine-clad hills, some of which are crowned with villages and
country - houses.— 21i/2 M. Inverigo (1150 ft.), a pretty village,
above the valley of the Lambro. On an eminence rises the Rotonda,
one of the flnest villas in the Brianza. The Villa Crivelli is famous
for its cypresses. — Beyond (23 M.) Lambrugo - Lurago the train
ascends the valley of the Lambro. — 2572 M. Merone-Pontenuovo,
the junction of the Lecco and Como line (p. 169). The Lago d'Alserio
is passed on the left and the larger Lago di Pusiano on the right.
The train enters the charming plain of Erba (Pian d'Erba).
27i/2 M. Incino-Erba, the station for the village of Incino and
the small town of Erba. Incino, tho ancient Liciniforum, is men¬
tioned by Pliny along with Bergamo and Como; it contains a lofty
Lombard campanile. Erba (1055 ft.; Albergo Buco del Piombo)
lies a little to the W., on the road from Como to Lecco, built on
the terraced slopes of a small hill in a fertile región. Among the
villas on the N.W. side is the Villa Amalia, commanding a charm¬
ing view of the Brianza. — From Erba to Como, see p. 169.
The Highroad from Erba to Bellagio (about 19 M.) crosses
the Lambro, which has been canalized and conducted into the Lago
di Pusiano, a little to the S.E. Immediately afterwards the route
to Bellagio diverges to the left from the road to Lecco, and runs
to the N., past Longone on the W. bank of the narrow Lago del
Segrino, to —
5 M. Canzo (1270ft. ; Alb. Canzo; Croce di Malta), which is
almost contiguous to (li/4 M.) Asso (1394 ft.), the two numbering
together 2000 inhabitants. At the entrance of Asso is a large
silk-manufactory (Casa Versa).
The road now gradually ascends in the wooded ValV Assina, the
upper valley of the Lambro, passing (2 M.) Lasnigo, (2 M.) Bami
(2083 ft.), and Magreglio (2415 ft.). The flrst view of both arms of the
Lake of Como is obtained from the eminence near the (1 M.) Chapel.
Delightful survey of the entire E. arm to Lecco and far be¬
yond, after passing the first chureh of (i M.) Civenna (2045 ft;
Bellevue, open from April to Oct., with view-terrace; Ristorante
della Posta, with bedrooms). The road now runs as far as ('2 M.)
Chevrio along the shady brow of the mountain, which extends
into the lake at Bellagio. Beyond the chapel good views are obtained
of the W. arm of the lake (of Como), the Tremezzina with the
Villa Carlotta and Cadenabbia, the E. arm (Lake of Lecco) a large
portion of the road and electric railway on the E. bank and flnally
of the entire lake from the pTomontory of Bellagio to Domaso
(p. 180), and far below tho Villa Serbelloni (p. 176).
The road winds downwards for about 2i/2 M., flnally passing the
Villa Giutia (p. 177) and the churchyard of Bellagio. From Civenna
to Bellagio (p. 176), 2 hrs'. walk.
A longer route, which will reward the pedestrian, is by the "Monte
San Primo (p. 177). Ascent from Canzo with a guide in 4-5 hrs. descent
to Bellagio 3 hrs. (fatjguing, over débris). ''