THE BRIANZA. 25. Route. 171
an indented dolomite ridge, and at the S. end of the Lake of Lecco
or E. arm of the Lake of Como (p. 178), from which the Adda here
emerges. A statue of Alessandro Manzoni (b. in Milán 1785,
d. 1873), the poet and head of the romantic school, by Confalonieri,
adorns the Piazza Manzoni; the pedestal is decorated with reliefs
from Manzoni's 'I Promessi Sposi', the scene of which is laid in
Lecco. — The Ponte Grande (views), a stone bridge of ten arches,
constructed in 1335 by Azzone Visconti, spans the Adda to the S.
of the town; at each end are remains of fortified towers. Beyond
the bridge the road forks: the left branch leads viá Péscate and
Garlate to Olginate, on the Lago di Olginate (p. 170); the right
branch, passing the village of Malgrate (with many silk-factories)
to the W. of Lecco, leads to Como (p. 167).
Pleasant walk to San Girolamo, see p. 170. Ascent of the "Monte Barro,
see p. 170 (carr. to Galbiate 5, with two horses 10 fr.). — Through the Val
Sassina to Bellano, see p. 179.
The Railway from Lecco to Cólico (run by electricity) furnishes
the shortest route between Milán and Chiuvennu (Splügen; R. 4) and the
Vul Tellina (p. 189). It runs along the E. bank of the lake, passing
through tunnels and over viaduets. 6M. Mandello-Tonzanico (p. 178); 10 M.
Lierna (p. 178); 1372 M. Perledo- Varenna (p. 178), the station for the steamers
on the Como arm of the lake; 1572 M. Bellano (p. 179); I872 M. Dervio
(p. 179). — 24 M. Cólico, see pp. 18, 180.
Steamer from Lecco to Cadenabbia (Como), see p. 173. — Rail¬
way to Bergamo, see p. 216.
25. From Milán to Bellagio. The Brianza.
Railway (Ferrovie Nord) from Milán to (2772 M.) Incino-Erba (starting
from the Stazione Ferrovie Nord, p. 128) in 172-2 hrs. (fares 4 fr. 25,
2 fr. 50, 1 fr. 60 c). — Highroad from Erba to (I872 M.) Bellagio.
The Brianza is the undulating tract, between the Lambro and the Adda,
stretching to the N. to the so-called Alta Brianza, the triangular península
which divides the Lago di Como from the Lago di Lecco (comp. p. 174).
Like the entire región as far as the Lago Maggiore it is occupied by the
extreme lower skirta of the Alpine chain (cretaceoua limestone), which
are overlaid with thick glacial deposita as the glaciers of the main valleys
here carne to an end. In the centre are several small lakes (Lago d'Annone,
Pusiano, Segrino, Alserio, and Montorfano), some shallow depressions in
the limestone, some dammed in by moraine accumulations. The soil is
very fertile, and the whole district atudded with villas peeping out from
vines, orchards, and mulberry-plantations.
The Railway from Milán to Incino-Erba traverses a well
cultivated plain. As far as (3 M.) Bovisa it coincides with the line
to Saronno (p. 164). — 4!/2 M. Affori, with a parish-church con¬
taining an oíd copy of Leonardo da Vinci's'Vierge aux Rochers'.
51/2 M. Cormanno-Brusuglio. The train now ascends the right bank
of the small Seveso as far as San Pietro. — 10 M. Varedo (590 ft.).
— From (13!/2 M.) San Pietro a branch-line diverges to (l1/* M.)
Camnago (p. 167), a station on the St. Gotthard railway, which our
line crosses near (15 M.) Meda. — Near (ÍS1^ M.) Carugo-Giussano
the country becomes hilly. 20 M. Aro»to(985 ft.), pleasantly situated