to Lecco. COMO. 24. Route. 169
On the groundfloor are memorials of Volta and of Cesare Cantil
(1807-95) the historian; views of Como, etc. — On the firat floor are pre¬
historic and Román antiquitiea; a rich collection of coins; autographs of
Volta and others; local curiosities, etc.
The oíd Town Wall is intact except near the lake; on the S.E.
side are three well-preserved towers, that in the middle, the Porta
Torre, now known as the Porta Vittoria, being a massive five-storied
structure. — In the Viale Várese, a promenade shaded with plane-
trees and skirting the S.W. town-wall, is the church of the San¬
tissima Annunziata, of the 17th cent., also known as the Chiesa
del Crocefisso, from a miraculous image.
Farther to the S., on the slope of the mountain on the other side
of the Cosia, is the Une oíd *Basilica Sant' Abbondio, originally a
Lombard structure of the 8th cent., rebuilt in the llth cent., and
well restored in 1863-88. Beneath it the remains of a church of
the 5th cent, have been found.
Excursions (comp. Map, p. 172). The Castello Baradello (p. 167), reached
from the Piazza Vittoria in I72 hr. by the Via Milano (to the S.) and
then hy a tolerable footpath, is an excellent point of view. — On the VI.
bank of the lake, on the beautiful road to (272 M.) Cernobbio (p. 174), just
beyond the Borgo San Giorgio or N.W. suburb of Como, lies the "Villa
l'Olmo (Duca Visconti-Modrone), the largest on the lake, with fine rooms
and a charming garden (visitors admitted). — Another fine *Road, traversing
the Borgo Sanf Agostino, leads along the E. bank of the lake and then,
on the hillside, high above the lake, to Blevio and (5 M.) Torno (p. 175).
A Cable Railway (2/3 M. long; its steepest gradient 55:100; fares, see
p. 163), passing through a tunnel 132 yds. long, leads from the N. end of
the Borgo Sant' Agostino, viá Carescione (Ristorante Falchetto), to (20 min.)
Brúñate (2350 ft.; Grand Hotel Brúñate, with steam-heating and garden,
R. 3-5, B. 172, déj. 3, D. 5, pens. 8-11 fr.; Hót. Milán, R. from 27z, déj. 2i/2,
D. 372, pens. from 7 fr.; Alb. Bellavista, with small garden with view,
R. from 2, B. 3/t, déj. 272, D. 3, pens. 7 fr., incl. wine, Italian, very fair;
Chalet Brúñate, with view-terrace, déj. 272, D. 37a fr.), which commands a
superb "View of the plain of Lombardy as far as Milán, and of the Alps to
Mte. Rosa (best light in the morning). — Several pleasant walks (guide-
posts and benches): to the (20 min ) Piani di Brúñate, on the slope above
the lake; to the (12 min.) Fontana Pissarottino (2385 ft.), with a view of
Cernobbio and Monte Bisbino; to (V2 hr.) San Maurizio (2860 ft.; Hót.-
Restaurant du Pare, déj. 272, D. 372 fr., incl. wine) and the Tre Croci
(2970 ft.). More comprehensive views are commauded by the Pizzo di Torno
(3740 ft.), I74 hr. to the E. of S. Maurizio, and by the (2 hrs.) Monte Boletto
From Como to Bellagio vía Erea, about 26 M., one-horse carriage
in 5-6 hrs. (25 fr.). The road, which will also repay the pedestrian, ascends
the valley of the Cosia. The lake is concealed by the spurs of the Monte
Boletto. In the church of Camnago Volta (a little to the N. of the road)
is the tomb of Volta (p. 168). Farther on, to the S. of the road, rises
tbejagged crest of Montorfano, near a litile lake. Near Cassano (1325 ft.)
is a leaning campanile. Beyond Albese (1325 ft.) we enjoy a view of the
Pian d'Erba, with the lakes (p. 171) of Alserio, Fusiono, and Annone, dom-
inated on the E. by the Comi di Canzo (p. 178) and the rugged Resegone
(p. 170). — 11 M. Erba, and thence to Bellagio, see p. 172.
From Como to Lecco, 26 M., átate-railway in 11/2-2 hrs. (4 fr. 90,
3 fr. 45, 2 fr. 20c). — 3 M. Albate- Camerlata, see p. 167; 77s M. Cantil;
11 M. Anzano del Parco. To the left lies the Lago d Alserio. — 1372 M.
Merone -Pontenuovo, the junction of the Milán and Erba line (p. 172). —
1572 M. Casletto-Rogeno, ou tLe S. bank of the Lago di Ptisiano. — 191/--' M.