168 Route 24. COMO. From Milán
Cable Railway (Funicolare) from the Borgo Sant' Agostino, 7« M. to the
N. of Stazione Como Lago, to Brúñate (p. 169), every 72 hr. (hourly in
winter); fares, up 172, down 1, np and down 2 fr., before 8 a.m. and after
7 p.m. and on Sun. and holidays 1 fr.
Como (663 ft.), a flourishing industrial town, the capital of a
province, and the see of a bishop, with 38,174 inhab. and large silk-
factories, lies at the S.W. end of the Lake of Como (p. 173), and
is enclosed by an amphitheatre of mountains. The small stream
Costa enters the lake here. Como is the Román Comum, the birth¬
place of the eider and younger Pliny. The electrician and philosopher
Volta (1745-1827: whose Statue by P. Marchesi (1838) is in the
Piazza Volta, to the S.W. of the quay), was born at Como in the
house maiked 'Casa Volta' on the Plan.
The Piazza Cavour, a large square near the harbour, the most
animated part of the town on fine evenings, is connected with the
Piazza del Duomo by the short Via Plinio.
The *Cathedral, built entirely of marble, is one of the best in
N. Italy. The nave was rebuilt in the Gothic style about 1396, the
facade in 1457-87 (by Luchino Scharabota da Milano and others);
and in 1487-1526 the transepts, choir, and exterior of the nave were
altered in the Renaissance style by Tommaso Rodari, who used
Cristof. Solari's clesign (1519) for the beautiful apse. The S. portal
(1491) is built in Bramante's style by an unknown architect; the
octagonal dome is by FU. Juvara (1731). The greater part of the
sumptuous plástic ornamentation is by Tommaso Rodari and his
brother Jacopo. Over the magniflcent W. portal are reliéis (Adoration
of the Magi) and statuettes (Mary with SS. Abondius and Protus,
etc.); at the sides are statues of the two Plinys, erected in 1498.
The over-decoratedN. portal (Porta della Rana) dates from 1505-9.
Interior. The heavy and gaudy vaulting, restored in 1838, destroys
the effect of the fine proportions, which resemble those of the Certosa
near Pavia (p. 162). — To the right of the entrance is the monument of
Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio (18G1). Farther on, to the right, second altar, with
handsome wood-carving and scenes from the life of St. Abondius (1514);
adjoining (1.) the "Adoration of the Magi, by Bern. Luini, and (r.) the
Flight into Egypt, by Gaud. Ferrari. Over the third altar, a Madonna by
B. Luini. In the Choir, the Apostles, by Pompeo Marchesi. The Sacristy
contains pictures by Guido Reni, Paolo Veronese (1), etc. Fine statue of
St. Sebastian (1493) in the N. Transept. In the Left Aisle : at, the first
altar, Entombment by Tommaso Rodari (1498); at the second altar, 1.
G. Ferrari, Nuptials of the Virgin, r. B. Luini, Adoration of the Shepherds.
To the left of the cathedral is the Broletto (now a public office),
constructed of altérnate courses of black and white stone, and com¬
pleted in 1215 (restored in 1900).
In the Via Vittorio Emanuele, which runs S.W. from the cath¬
edral, is the rear of the Romanesque church (rebuilt in 1265) of
San Fedele, with a fine pentagonal apse. The chief facade of the
church, in the Piazza del Mercato, is as little worthy of attention
as the completely moderaized interior. — The Palazzo Giovio on
the left, at the end of the street, contains the Museo Cívico (a'dm.
daily except Tues., 10-4, 50 c, Frid. 1 fr.; catalogue 1 fr.).