MONZA. 24. Route. 165
The paintings in the interior of the dome represent a concert of
angela, and are by Gaudenzio Ferrari. Round the drum are several wooden
statues by Andrea Fusina. The frescoes immediately below the drum are
by Lanini, those in the next section by Cesare del Magno and Bernardino
Luini (SS. Rochus and Sebastian). The remaining frescoes are all by
Luini, who, as the story goes, sought an asylum in the sanctuary of Sa¬
ronno after killing a man in self-defence, and had to work at the bidding
of the monks. In the passage leading to the choir are depicted the Mar-
riage of the Virgin and Christ among the doctors; in the choir itself,
the "Adoration of the Magi and the Presentation in the Temple. Above,
in the panels and lunettes, are Sibyla, Evangelists, and Church Fathers.
A small apse built out from the choir contains paintings of "St. Apollonia
to the right, and "St. Catharine to the left, each with an ángel.
Saronno is a station on the line from Novara to Seregno (p. 68)
and the starting-point of a branch-line of the FeTrovie Nord viá
Castellanza (p. 68) to (141/2 M.) Cairate-Lonate-Ceppino, in the
industral Olona valley. (Continuation to Mendrisio projected.) —
From Saronno to Várese and Laveno, see R. 29.
2572 M. Grandate (p. 170). — 27i/2M. Camerlala (p. 167). —
We descend, enjoying a pretty view of Como and Brúñate, to (28 M.)
Como Borghi. 28Y2 M. Como Lago, the main station (comp. p. 167).
24. From Milán to Como and Lecco (Cólico) viá Monza.
From Milán to Como, 30 M., railway (St. Gotthard line) in l-l3/4 hr.
(fares 5 fr. 60, 3 fr. 90, 2 fr. 40 c; express, 6 fr. 15, 4 fr. 30 c). Through
and return tickets may be obtained at the Cen'ral Station of Milán and
at the Agenzia Internazionale (p. 123) for Tremezzo, Cadenabbia, Bellagio,
Menaggio, and Cólico. — From Milán to Lecco, 317a M., railway in
1-2 hrs. (fares 5 fr. 95, 4 fr. 15, 2 fr. 70 c.; express, 6 fr. 55, 4 fr. 60 c, 3 fr.);
to Cólico, 56 M., in 274-33/4 hrs. (fares 10 fr. 45, 7 fr. 35, 4 fr. 70 c.; express,
11 fr. 50, S fr. 5 c).
The Unes to Como and Lecco are identical as far as Monza and
traverse a fertile and well-irrigated plain, luxuriantly clothed with
vineyards, mulberry-plantations, and lields of maize. — 41/2 M-
Sesto San Giovanni.
8 M. Monza. — Hotels. Alb.-Eistor. del Parco, Alb.-Ristor. Sport,
both 172 M. from the station, opposite the entrance to the palace park,
with gardens; Alb. del Castello e Falcone, at the station, unpretending.
— Café. Caffé-Ristor. Galizia, Piazza Roma. — Cabs. Per drive 3/i fr-;
per 1/3 br. in the town 1 fr., each addit 72 br. 70 c.; outaide the town 2
and 1 fr. — Electric Railway to Milán, see p. 130.
Monza (532 ft.), a town on the Lambro, with 27,800 inhab., has
been the coronation-town of the kings of Lombardy since the
llth cent. (comp. p. 202). Leaving the station and following the
Via Italia to the right, we pass the church of Santa María in Istrada
(second on the right), with a Gothic bTick facade of ca. 1393 (in¬
terior modernized), and in 10 min. reach the Piazza Roma, the
centre of the town, with the handsome Gothic Municipio or town-
hall, also called Palazzo Arengario (13th cent., restored in 1890).
— A few paces to the S.E., beyond the Via Napoleone, is the Piazza
del Duomo, in which rises the —