164 Route 23. SARONNO.
medallion. The "Choir Stalls are adorned with inlaid figures of apostles
and saints, executed by Bart. de' Polli (1486-93) from drawings by Borgognone.
— The door to the right of the choir, handsomely framed in marble and
with seven relief-portraits of Milanese princesses, leads to the Lavabo,
which contains a rich fountain by Alb. Maffiolo of Carrara (1490). The
stained glass dates from 1477. To the left is a fresco by Bern. Luini
(Madonna with the carnation).
Right Transept : magniticent "Monument of Giov. Galeazzo Visconti,
begun in 1494-97 by Gian Cristoforo Romano and Ben. Briosco, but not
finished until 1562 (by Galeazzo Alessi and others). The ceiling-frescoes,
by Borgognone, represent Giov. Galeazzo, holding the orginal model of the
church, and his sons kneeling before the Virgin. — The adjoining Sagrestia
Nuova, or Oratorio, has a large altar-piece, an "Assumption by A. Solario
(completed in 1576 by Bern. Campi). Over the door, -Madonna enthroned,
with two saints and angels, by Bart. Montagna (1490); the side-pictures
are by Borgognone. In the desk-cases are choir-books of 1561 and 1567.
An elegant early-Renaissance portal leads from the right transept to
the "Front Cloisters (Cbiostro della Fontana), which possess slender
marble columns and charming decorations in terracotta by Rinaldo de
Stauris (1463-78). Fine view from the íiont of tbe Refectory (W. side) of
the side of the church and the S. transept. — Around the Great Cloisters
(Grande Chiostro), which also have fine terracotta decorations by R. de
Stauris, are situated 24 small houses formerly occupied by the monks, each
consisting of three rooms with a small garden.
We now re-enter the church. Right Aisle. In the 2nd Chapel: Guercino,
Madonna enthroned, with two aaints (1641; injured). Srd Cbapel: Bor¬
gognone, St. Sirus and four other saints (1491). The well-preserved ceiling-
decoration is by Jac. de Molis (1491). 4th Chapel: Borgognone, "Crucifixión
(1490). 6th Chapel: Altar-piece by Macrino d'Alba (1496; the four Evangelists
above are by Borgognone).
The Palazzo Ducale (p. 163) has been occupied since 1901 by the
Certosa Museum, containing paintings, sculptures, casts, objects found in
1889 in the coffin of Giov. Galeazzo, etc.
The Dome cannot be ascended without a special 'perniesso', obtained
at the prefecture in Pavia.
Pavia, which lies 5 M. to the S. of the Certosa, and the railway
thence to Voghera and Genoa, are described in R. 32.
23. From Milán to Como viá Saronno.
28i/2 M. Railway (Ferrovie Nord) in 174-l3/4 br. (fares 3 fr. 45, 2 fr. 20,
1 fr. 65 c.; return-fares, 5 fr., 3 fr. 20, 2 fr 26 c). — At both the Stazione
Ferrovie Nord and the town office (p. 12í) through and return tickets
(p. 173) may be procured for Brúñate, Cernobbio, Cadenabbia, Bellagio,
Menaggio, Bellano, and Cólico.
As far as (3 M.) Bovisa, see p. 171. Farther on we enjoy a good
view of the Mte. Rosa group, to the left.
13!/2 M. Saronno (702 ft.; Albergo Madonna; León d'Oro), a
large village on the Lura, with 8700 inhab., known in Italy for its
excellent gingerbread (amaretti). — A quadruple avenue of plañe
trees leads W. from the station to the (1/4 M.) celebrated pilgrimage-
church called the Santuario della Beata Vbrgine an early-
Renaissance structure by Pietro dalf Orto (1498), with a' campanile
by Paolo Porta (1516), while the fafade and other additions are in
a pompous baroque style (17th cent.). It contains a series of ad¬