162 Route 22. CERTOSA DI PAVÍA. Excursions
takes 172-13A br. (return-fares 2 fr. 40, 1 fr. 50 c, or, incl. omn. to the Cer¬
tosa, 2 fr. 70, 1 fr. 80 c). The whole excursión takes 1/2 day.
The district traversed between Milán and Pavia consists of altér¬
nate stretches of rice-fields and underwood and offers little of in-
terest. At (4i/2 M.) Rogoredo the Railwat diverges to the S. from
the line to Piacenza (p. 357). — bl/2 M. Chiaravalle Milanese is
noted for its Cistercian *Church, a flne brick ediflce with a lofty
domed tower, in the Romanesque style, founded by St. Bernard of
Clairvaux and dedicated in 1221. The interior, in the transition
style but partly modernized, is adorned with frescoes by Milanese
painters of the 16th cent, and contains choir-stalls of 1465; in the
right transept are frescoes by Bramante (Ecce Homo) and B. Luini
(Madonna). — 12'/2 M. Villamaggiore.
17!/2 M. Stazione della Certosa, whence two routes lead along
the enclosing wall (right and left) to the entrance (W. side) of the
Certosa (walk of !/4 hr.; omn., 30 c, one-horse carr. per pers.
50 c). — On the S. side of the Certosa is the modest Alb. Milano.
The Steam Tramway follows the highroad and passes Binusco, with
an ancient castle, in which the jealous Duke Filippo Maria Visconti
caused his noble and innocent wife Beatrice di Tenda (p. 47) to be put
to death in 1418. The station of Torre del Mangano (Alb. d'Italia, clean,
déj. 272, D. 4 fr., wine included; Trattoria della Pesa Pubblica, unpre¬
tending), on the Naviglio di Pavia (p. 132), lies about V» M. to the W.
of the Certosa (omn. 30 c).
The *Certosa di Pavia, or Carthusian monastery, the splendid
memorial of the Milán dynasties, was begun in 1396 by Giovanni
Galeazzo Visconti (p. 127) in fulfilment of a vow made by his wife
Catharina. The monastic buildings were practically completed
soon after Galeazzo's death, under the direction of Bern. da Venezia,
Cristof. da Conigo, and others; while the church was continued
after 1453 by Guiniforte Solari (d. 1481) in the Lombard Transition
style, with exterior arcading and elabórate terracotta ornamentation.
The facade of white marble (from Carrara and Candoglia, p. 4) was
begun in 1473 by Crist. Mantegazza and Giov. Ant. Amadeo, and
the lower part was completed after 1492 on Amadeo's model, with
the assistance of Ben. Briosco, Ant. Tamagnino, and numerous
other sculptors. The warlike commotions of the time kept the
upper part unfinished. The monastery, suppressed under Emperor
Joseph II. in 1782, was restored to its original destination in 1843
and presented to the Carthusians. Since the suppression of the
Italian monasteries (1866) it has been maintained as a 'National
An inspection of the Certosa, which is open from 8.30 to 5.30
in summer and from 9 to 4 in winter (on Sun. & holidays, except
New Year's Day, Easter Sunday and Whitsunday, 9-3), takes
ll/2-2hrs. (adm. 1 fr., Sun. free; guide imperative, gratuities for-
Beyond the Vestibule (ticket-office), with sadly-damaged fres¬
coes by Bern. Luini (SS. Sebastian and Christopher) and others,