102 Route 19. SAN REMO. From Genoa
in the Monte Caggio (3575 ft.) and Monte Bignone (4260 ft.), and descend¬
ing thence to the Capo Verde, its summit being nowhere more than 4 M.
distant in a straight line. The N. winds are, therefore, entirely excluded
from this favoured spot, especially as a double range of Alps rises behind
the town a little farther back, while the forcé of the E. and W. winds
is much broken. Violent E. winds, however, frequently occur at the end
of February and the beginning of March, and the 'Mistral' is also an un-
welcome visitor at this season. — To consumptive and bronchial patients
the E. hay is recommended on account of its sheltered situation and humid
atmosphere, while sufferers from nervous and liver complaints will find
the dry and stimulating air of the W. bay more beneficial. — The mean
temperature of the three winter months is 51° Fahr.
San Remo, a town of 20,000 inhab., lies in the middle of a
beautiful hay, 572 M. wide, embosomed in olive-groves that cover
the valleys and lower slopes and give place higher up to pines and
other coniferse. It has been a health-resort since 1861.
The crowded houses of the oíd town (La Pigna), with the church
of San Siró founded in the 12th cent., occupy a steep hill between
the short valleys of the Torrente del Convento and the Torrente di
San Romolo. A smaller quarter named Castigliuoli lies to the W. of
the latter stream. These older parts of the town consist of a curious
labyrinth of narrow lañes, flights of steps, archways, lofty and
sombre houses, and mouldering walls. The arches which connect
the houses high above the streets are intended to give them stability
in case of earthquakes. Vines are frequently seen clambering up
the houses and putting forth their tendrils and leaves on the top-
The new town occupies the alluvial land at the foot of the hill.
The long Via Vittorio Emanuele (Pl. C, D, 3), with its numerous
shops, is the chief centre of trafflc. No. 24 in this street, the Palazzo
Borea d'Olmo (15th cent.), possesses a fine staircase. — To the
S.E. is the fort of Santa Tecla (Pl. D, 3, 4; now a prison), constructed
by the Genoese to defend the small harbour, which is sheltered by
a breakwater 1300 ft. in length. A survey from the parapet of this
Molo will convey an idea of the sheltered position of San Remo.
The Via Yitt. Emanuele leads past the Casino Municipale (Kur-
saal; Pl. C, 3; p. 101), erected in 1904-5 by Ferret, to the *Coeso
dell' Imperatkicb (Pl. B, C, 4), on the W. bay, which is planted
with palms and provided with benches. This magniflcent promen-
ade, the favourite winter-resort of the visitor, skirts the railway and
the sea, terminating towards the W. in the beautiful Giardino dell'
Imperatrice (Pl. A, B, 4), laid out, like the Corso itself, at the ex¬
pense of the Empress Maria Alexandrowna of Russia (d. 1880).
Beyond the garden the promenade is continued by the Corso Matuzia
and the Corso Ponente (Pl. A, 4), ending at the cemetery.
The main thoroughf'are of the quarters on the E. bay is formed
by the Corso Garibaldi (Pl. D, E, 2) and its E. prolongation, the
Corso Felice Cavallotti (Pl. E, F, 2). A little above the latter, next to
the Bellevne Hotsi -¡o the Villa Villeneuve or Zirio (no admission),
where the d . "William resided