98 Route 19. ALASSIO. From Genoa
Santa Maria in Fontibus (lOth cent.) and a Román bridge (Ponli
Lungo; 150 yds. long), beneath with the Centa formerly fiowed, in
the avenue 74 M. to the N. of the town. Near the present mouth of
the river, I72 M. from the station, we obtain a beautiful view of
Albenga, the coast as far as the Capo di Noli, the island of Gallinaria.
and the Ligurian Alps. — From Albenga to Garessio, see p. 50: "n
To the left lies the rocky island of Gallinaria (295 ft.), with
picturesque cliffs, two caves on the shore, and an oíd Benedictíne
abbey (13th cent.; now a prívate house). — The train skirts the
promontory of Santa Croce (see below).
5672 M. Alassio. — Hotels. "Grand Hotel d'Alassio, with lift and
steam-heating, R. 372-5, B. 1»/*, déj. 3, D. 41/2, pens. 9-12 fr. (L. extra),
omn. 1 fr.; Salisbcrt Hotel, high up, patronized by the English, pens.
9-12 fr. (these two of the first class, with garden);. Hót.-Pens. Bellevüe,
in an open situation, B. 174, déj. 372, D. 472 fr., incl. wine, board 7fr.;
Norfolk Hotel, B. I72, déj. 3, D. 472, pens. 8-12 fr.; Terminus Hotel
Concordia, very fair; Hot. Suisse, R. '-;72"3, B. I74, D. 3Ví, pens. 7-8 fr.,
well spoken of; Hot.-Pens. Victoria, on tbe sea, an English family hotel,
R. from 21/2, B. 174, déj. 21/2, D. 372, incl. wine, pens. from 7 fr,, well spoken
of; Hotel Milán, on the sea, R. frnm 2, B. 1, déj. 272, D. 4, pens. from
6 fr.; Hót. de la Méditerranée, on the sea, with garden, pens. 6-7 fr.; Hót.
Savoia, with steam-heating and garden, R. from 2, B. 1, déj. 2, D. 3, pens.
5-6 fr.; Alb. del Comm'ercio; Alb. Nazionale, unpretending. — Pensión
Villa Luigia, 5-772 fr., very fair. — Banker, House Agent, etc., Walter
Congreve. — Bookseller, Librairie Internationale. — Carriage with one
horse to the Capo Santa Croce 3, with two horses 5 fr.; to Solva orMoglio
4 and 6 fr.; to the Capo delle Melé 6 and 7 fr. — Ómnibus twice daily to
Albenga (30 c). — Boat to Gallinaria 8 fr. — English Church (St. John'S)^.
services at 10.30 & 3 or 5; chaplain, Rev. F. W. Sutton, Casa San Gior¿¿|
Alassio (16 ft.), a flshing port with 4200 inhab., situatedBrT
semi-circular bay opening to the S.E., has a fine sandy beach ei-
tending as. far as Laigueglia. It is frequented in summer as a bathing-
place, and in winter as a health-resort, especially by English visi¬
tors, Beside the station is Hanbury Hall, with conceit and reading ¡
rooms; below are the public-park and a short esplanade, with an'
ancient tower and a view of Gallinaria and Laigueglia.
Excursions (photographing on the mountains forbidden). To the N.E.
to the (3/4 hr.) Capo Santa Croce, with the remains of a Román road p4
the picturesque ruins of the Arco Santa Croce (evening light best). — Tó
the top of the (2 hrs.) "Monte Pisciavino (1960 ft.; wide view), either by the
road to the N. via Solva, or by the mule-path to the N.W., leading through
groves of olives and carob-tree?, to Vegliasco (1280 ft.). The descent may
he made via the Monte Bignone (1705 ft.) to Albenga (p.. 97). — Via Vegliasco,
or to the W. via Moglio, to the top of the Monte Tirasso (1920 ft.), on
which is the pilgrimage-chapel of Madonna della Guardia.
58 M. Laigueglia, with narrow streets, was bombarded by the
British fleet in 1812. — The train penetrates the Capo Melé (240ft.;
lighthouse, signal-station, and pilgrimage-chapel) by means of a
long tunnel, while the road describes a wide curve. __ 60 M. Pil¬
dora, a group of villages in the fertile vale of the Merula (sulphur-
springs; 172 M. inland a large ruined castle). — 6372 M. Ceno
(223 ft.), picturesquely situated on the right. — 65 M. Diano Marina
(Hót. Paradis, with sea-haths, pens. 8-9 fr.), in a fertile plain, was